Re: [sage-support] I would like to interface with the latest (unstable) version of PARI.

Vincent Delecroix

Jun 17, 2021, 7:16:09 AM6/17/21
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
init.sage is not enough as you need to recompile a subset of sage.

The simplest way that I know of is to

1) package a home made release of pari-master
2) follow the process of upgrading a package in sage
(ie update the informations at $SAGE_ROOT/build/pkgs/pari)
3) re-install pari (run "sage -f pari")

The last step should trigger the compilation of what needs to
be recompiled.

Best
Vincent

Le 17/06/2021 à 12:33, Guissmo Asuncion a écrit :
> My current SAGE installation interfaces with an installation of PARI which
> is from a stable version. I would like it to interface with the version of
> my PARI (in my machine) that is compiled from the code in the development
> branch. The reason for this is that the PARI developers has just fixed a
> bug yesterday, related to what I am doing. The fix is currently in their
> development branch.
>
> Is there something I can do in *init.sage* to point SAGE to a specific
> compiled version of PARI in my system? Or perhaps I can do something else
> to obtain the same result?
>
> Would I need to recompile SAGE with parameters pointing to that PARI
> installation every time? If so, how? I would like to avoid compiling SAGE
> every time I recompile PARI, but might be willing to try if desperate.
>
> Thanks for reading!
>
> ---
> 'SageMath version 9.3, Release Date: 2021-05-09'
> ---
> Operating System: Arch Linux
> KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.5
> KDE Frameworks Version: 5.82.0
> Qt Version: 5.15.2
> Kernel Version: 5.12.9-arch1-1
> OS Type: 64-bit
> Graphics Platform: X11
> Processors: 8 × AMD Ryzen 7 2700U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
> Memory: 15,3 GiB of RAM
> Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon™ Vega 3 Graphics

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 17, 2021, 2:38:26 PM6/17/21
to sage-support
On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 11:33 AM Guissmo Asuncion <gui...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My current SAGE installation interfaces with an installation of PARI which is from a stable version. I would like it to interface with the version of my PARI (in my machine) that is compiled from the code in the development branch. The reason for this is that the PARI developers has just fixed a bug yesterday, related to what I am doing. The fix is currently in their development branch.
>
> Is there something I can do in init.sage to point SAGE to a specific compiled version of PARI in my system? Or perhaps I can do something else to obtain the same result?
>
> Would I need to recompile SAGE with parameters pointing to that PARI installation every time? If so, how? I would like to avoid compiling SAGE every time I recompile PARI, but might be willing to try if desperate.

Sage and its components, such as Singular, have code which uses
libpari. These are the only parts that potentially might need to be
recompiled - assuming that the interface has changed. (Which is
usually not the case if just a bug was fixed).
That is to say, in theory all you need to do it to supply an updated
library, and it will be magically picked up - this is
one feature of dynamic linking.

One way to achieve this kind of flexibility is to install your
experimental versions in /usr/local; then Sage's ./configure
should be able to pick it up and use.
(You'd also need to have Pari's packages installed correctly, as
described in Pari online docs, otherwise
./configure would reject it)

In practice, something might be broken and you'd need to rebuild the
components which don't properly link libpari.

If you need more details, please shout.