The pynac situation

Antonio Rojas

Jun 20, 2021, 4:10:42 AM6/20/21
to sage-packaging
Hi all,
 For the last few months, patches have been piling up in Sage's pynac spkg. Many of these patches are not in the upstream repo even in a pull request, so it seems that Sage is now effectively using a fork of Pynac. In 9.4.beta2 a test was introduced that makes Sage crash when using upstream pynac.
 This is a less than ideal situation for distributions, as we need to keep up with sage's spkg by manually backporting the patches, which many times goes against distro packaging guidelines since there is no trace if them in the upstream project.
 Given the lack of activity in upstream pynac, officializing this de-facto fork would make thing much easier for packaging.

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 20, 2021, 4:44:09 AM6/20/21
to sage-packaging
Please feel free to ask for commit access to https://github.com/pynac/pynac

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 20, 2021, 4:59:45 AM6/20/21
to sage-packaging
On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 9:43 AM Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 9:10 AM Antonio Rojas <nqn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > For the last few months, patches have been piling up in Sage's pynac spkg. Many of these patches are not in the upstream repo even in a pull request, so it seems that Sage is now effectively using a fork of Pynac. In 9.4.beta2 a test was introduced that makes Sage crash when using upstream pynac.
> > This is a less than ideal situation for distributions, as we need to keep up with sage's spkg by manually backporting the patches, which many times goes against distro packaging guidelines since there is no trace if them in the upstream project.
> > Given the lack of activity in upstream pynac, officializing this de-facto fork would make thing much easier for packaging.
>
> Please feel free to ask for commit access to https://github.com/pynac/pynac

pynac is a can of bugs, and should be replaced - that's the biggest
problem with it. The people who forked it from ginac and worked on it
are no longer involved in Sage, and re-merging it with upstream is a
tall call.

Samuel Lelievre

Aug 29, 2021, 12:49:52 PM8/29/21
to sage-packaging
On this topic, see

- Sage Trac ticket 32386
  Merge pynac sources as src/sage/symbolic/ginac