What's the difference between singular-4.2.0p1+2021-04-06+sage and singular-4.2.0?

Isuru Fernando

May 29, 2021, 1:34:33 AM5/29/21
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I don't understand the difference between the sage version and singular upstream.
Is it possible to use upstream sources and use patches like other packages?

Isuru Fernando

François Bissey

May 29, 2021, 6:03:00 AM5/29/21
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The version shipped in sage is based on a fork of Matthias. It is essentially fixes
for building on windows for which he had PR not included in a release at the time.
From my own tests we can just use vanilla singular-4.2.0p1.

François

Vincent Delecroix

May 29, 2021, 6:13:28 AM5/29/21
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Isuru,

I don't like the situation either. The info is in SPKG.txt
"""
Special Update/Build Instructions
---------------------------------

The current upstream tarball is made from the branch at
https://github.com/mkoeppe/Singular/tree/Release-4-2-0-p1%2Bsage
"""

Vincent

Dima Pasechnik

May 29, 2021, 9:14:05 AM5/29/21
to sage-packaging
As soon as you modify autoconf /automake files, it becomes infeasible to talk about "patches", as they are just way too big to be useful.

Isuru Fernando

May 29, 2021, 1:05:51 PM5/29/21
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all for the responses. I'll go with singular-4.2.0 for conda since I'm not building singular for windows.

Isuru

Matthias Koeppe

May 30, 2021, 3:26:45 AM5/30/21
to sage-packaging