Tiny typo in GammaH subgroup docs

David Loeffler

Aug 10, 2023, 3:13:02 AM8/10/23
to sage-nt, bao...@uchicago.edu
I just got an email from Chengyang Bao (cc'ed) pointing out a typo in the Sage reference manual: in the class docstring for sage.modular.arithgroup.congroup_gammaH.GammaH_class, the formula "a, b \in H" should say "a, d \in H". (See https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/reference/arithgroup/sage/modular/arithgroup/congroup_gammaH.html#sage.modular.arithgroup.congroup_gammaH.GammaH_class).

It's highly likely that this was my mistake originally, but it's been so long that I can't remember all the version control procedures etc needed to fix it – can some kind person make this single-character fix?

Best regards, David

John Cremona

Aug 10, 2023, 5:40:23 AM8/10/23
to sage-nt, bao...@uchicago.edu

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023, 08:13 David Loeffler, <d.loef...@cantab.net> wrote:
I just got an email from Chengyang Bao (cc'ed) pointing out a typo in the Sage reference manual: in the class docstring for sage.modular.arithgroup.congroup_gammaH.GammaH_class, the formula "a, b \in H" should say "a, d \in H". (See https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/reference/arithgroup/sage/modular/arithgroup/congroup_gammaH.html#sage.modular.arithgroup.congroup_gammaH.GammaH_class).

It's highly likely that this was my mistake originally, but it's been so long that I can't remember all the version control procedures etc needed to fix it – can some kind person make this single-character fix?

I will, no problem. I'll cc you on a new GitHub issue but you can ignore any notifications you get.

John

Best regards, David

John Cremona

Aug 10, 2023, 9:22:52 AM8/10/23
to sage-nt, bao...@uchicago.edu
The issue is at https://github.com/sagemath/sage/issues/36058 and the PR whcih fixes it is https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36062.

I expect that this change will get into version 10.1.

John

William Stein

Aug 10, 2023, 11:44:52 AM8/10/23
to sag...@googlegroups.com, bao...@uchicago.edu
Thanks John!

For posterity is there a quick summary of "all the version control
procedures etc needed to do a single-character fix"?

- William

--
William (http://wstein.org)

John Cremona

Aug 10, 2023, 12:49:29 PM8/10/23
On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 at 16:44, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks John!

For posterity is there a quick summary of "all the version control
procedures etc needed to do a single-character fix"?

Good question!  In theory one can make edits to the files directly on github without even creating a PR, but I'm sure that I don't have the right permissions for that.

1. I picked a computer on which I had already built sage-10.0 in my own filespace, not the system-wide one.
2.  I did "git pull upstream develop", then both ./bootstrap and ./configure.
3. I tried "MAKE=make -j30 make" but it failed, and for some reason I can't remember I failed a simple "make" too, so I did "make clean" first and then "make".  That took many hours (single-threaded though I could have easily used 30 or more).
4. I created a new git branch, madethe one character change, and did "make" again.  That did not take too long.  So I committed and pushed to origin (=my clone on github, to which I had already pushed after the pull from upstream).
5. Meanwhile I had made the issue, given it the corrrect tags and assigned it to myself, quoting from David's email to explain the problem.
6. Then I made the PR and waited.

I have left this branch open on the computer I used in case some reviewer or the release manager wanted more changes.

I will ask on sage-devel why the parallel make approach I have often used in the past did not work, as that would have sped up the process considerably, as would having already built the latest beta -- but hey, I am retired, and while the computer was working I was in my hammock relaxing!

John