FYI question on Stackoverflow on i/o on sagecell

kcrisman

Jun 9, 2016, 9:59:46 AM6/9/16
to sage-notebook, Andrey Novoseltsev
For anyone who might be interested in I/O problems on Sagecell, apparently someone has found a race condition of some kind:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37692165/sagemathcell-valueerror-when-printing-string-sometimes

William Stein

Jun 9, 2016, 10:02:02 AM6/9/16
to sage-notebook, Andrey Novoseltsev
When I click on his link to the code, I don't see any code! Chrome + OS X.
> --

William (http://wstein.org)
Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 10.00.54 AM.png

Andrey Novoseltsev

Jun 10, 2016, 1:36:41 AM6/10/16
to sage-notebook, sage...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, 9 June 2016 08:02:02 UTC-6, William Stein wrote:
When I click on his link to the code, I don't see any code!  Chrome + OS X.

I saw this happening - something is off with CodeMirror initialization but I haven't figured out what exactly yet. It is high priority and hopefully will be fixed soon (= in a couple of weekends).

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM, kcrisman <kcri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For anyone who might be interested in I/O problems on Sagecell, apparently
> someone has found a race condition of some kind:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37692165/sagemathcell-valueerror-when-printing-string-sometimes

There were relatively frequent problems with this that were fixed upstream (I am using ipykernel master rather than Sage for the moment). I can't say right away if it is another similar problem upstream or something should be fixed in SageMathCell itself, but will look into it.

Andrey Novoseltsev

Jul 9, 2016, 1:48:57 AM7/9/16
On Thursday, 9 June 2016 23:36:41 UTC-6, Andrey Novoseltsev wrote:
On Thursday, 9 June 2016 08:02:02 UTC-6, William Stein wrote:
When I click on his link to the code, I don't see any code!  Chrome + OS X.

I saw this happening - something is off with CodeMirror initialization but I haven't figured out what exactly yet. It is high priority and hopefully will be fixed soon (= in a couple of weekends).

I think I have finally fixed it (the problem was using CodeMirror before CSS loads).

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM, kcrisman <kcri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For anyone who might be interested in I/O problems on Sagecell, apparently
> someone has found a race condition of some kind:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37692165/sagemathcell-valueerror-when-printing-string-sometimes

There were relatively frequent problems with this that were fixed upstream (I am using ipykernel master rather than Sage for the moment). I can't say right away if it is another similar problem upstream or something should be fixed in SageMathCell itself, but will look into it.

The original problem seems to be worse now - I more often get the error than not. Maybe due to the "proper" use of RequireJS which made something faster/more efficient and some race condition is easier to trigger now.

Andrey Novoseltsev

Jul 18, 2016, 11:23:59 AM7/18/16
to sage-cell, sage-n...@googlegroups.com

As it turned out my "fix" by using ipykernel master was not applied anymore as the master version was behind the latest release (in terms on version number, but not commits). Fixed by https://github.com/sagemath/sagecell/commit/9db1d42094c0f3a4509b613ac21a14964b7204e7