Re: sage server and test_notebook

Samuel Lelievre

Aug 16, 2016, 5:33:13 AM8/16/16
to sage-devel, sage-notebook
cc-ing sage-notebook

2016-08-14 17:01:04 UTC+2, Mike Zabrocki:
Hi,

I was trying to get a sage server running on a computer at work and I kept finding that it would not connect.  I then started debugging and ran into further issues.

When I execute the documentation
(bottom of the page)

sage: from sagenb.notebook.notebook_object import test_notebook
sage: passwd = str(randint(1,1<<128))
sage: nb = test_notebook(passwd, interface='localhost', port=8060)

I get the error
AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-5-02200195176b> in <module>()
----> 1 nb = test_notebook(passwd, interface='localhost', port=Integer(8060))
/Applications/sage/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sagenb/notebook/notebook_object.pyc in test_notebook(admin_passwd, secure, directory, port, interface, verbose)

282

283     nb = _notebook.load_notebook(directory)
--> 284     nb.set_accounts(True)

285     nb.add_user('admin', admin_passwd, '')

286     nb.set_accounts(False)

AttributeError: 'Notebook' object has no attribute 'set_accounts'

which makes me think that this whole function is out of date.  Are others using the notebook server and finding that it is still working?  My problems with the server are probably not related, but I can't seem to test it and this makes me think that maybe some of this code is not going through the usual testing.

Thanks,

-Mike

Brian Beavers

Aug 25, 2016, 10:25:27 AM8/25/16
to sage-notebook, sage-...@googlegroups.com
I'm running sage 7.3 (the binaries downloaded from sagemath.org) on Ubuntu 14.04 as a notebook server with no problem. However, I'm having issues trying to do a clean install with 16.04. I've been following Jason Grout's old instructions and trying to figure out what needs updating. I've gotten up to the point where you run the "startnotebook" script to start the notebook server to start on the machine, but I get "connection refused" messages when trying to connect to the server from other machines (and even by trying to connect by IP address on the server itself, rather than localhost:8000). I had no problem loading my user database, and everything is fine from localhost, but not from outside that. Perhaps we're hitting the same problem.

Brian

Brian Beavers, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Coordinator of Computing and Webmaster
Stephen F. Austin State University
Math Building 310 | 936.468.1433
Science Building 200 | 936.468.2177