TinyMCE not showing up properly in XP?

kcrisman

May 16, 2011, 4:17:41 PM5/16/11
to sage-notebook, sage-...@googlegroups.com
Our PREP workshop people are chugging along through our tutorial.
However, several of them - all using XP (and no snarky comments, I
doubt they can just ask their universities to give them a new Linux
box) are getting TinyMCE boxes with just the 'save changes' and
'cancel' buttons, but the box itself being just a pixel or two wide,
sort of like the thin blue line but gray.

See http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kcrisman/sageproblem.JPG and
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kcrisman/textboxscreencapture.JPG
for details.

Can anyone confirm this is *not* happening on Vista or 7? Or have any
ideas why it is happening for these participants?

Both respondents say that this happens on IE, FF and Chrome. I.e,

"I'm on XP Pro (2002) Service Pack 3 and have tried the tutorial in
Chrome (version 11.0.696.65), IE 7, and FF 3.6.13."

My own XP (which is via Boot Camp, and is probably older?) does not
show this happening on the same 4.6.2 server (I'm able to use TinyMCE
normally on FF and IE), so I am not sure what's going on.

Thanks,
- kcrisman

Jason Grout

May 16, 2011, 9:09:47 PM5/16/11
to sage-n...@googlegroups.com

Another data point; My XP VirtualBox image and Firefox 3.6.8 do not show
this bug either.

Jason

kcrisman

May 17, 2011, 11:35:04 AM5/17/11
to sage-notebook, sage-...@googlegroups.com
I have figured this out, and it's crazy. Nothing to do with Windows
or anything else. TinyMCE does this if...

You have an '@' in your username!

I can confirm this on Sage 4.6.2, as well as on Sage 4.6
(demo2.sagenb.org). The people who have reported this problem in our
workshop are exactly people who have it, and I just created an account
with it and get this problem. Since it persists on demo2, which
has no special security settings, I can only assume this has been
around for a while, and that the set people who use @ in their
username do not intersect with the set of people who use TinyMCE very
much.

I'm filing a ticket now.

- kcrisman

kcrisman

May 17, 2011, 11:37:02 AM5/17/11
to sage-notebook

On May 17, 11:35 am, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have figured this out, and it's crazy.  Nothing to do with Windows
> or anything else.  TinyMCE does this if...
>
> You have an '@' in your username!
>
> I can confirm this on Sage 4.6.2, as well as on Sage 4.6
> (demo2.sagenb.org).  The people who have reported this problem in our
> workshop are exactly people who have it, and I just created an account
> with it and get this problem.     Since it persists on demo2, which
> has no special security settings, I can only assume this has been
> around for a while, and that the set people who use @ in their
> username do not intersect with the set of people who use TinyMCE very
> much.
>
> I'm filing a ticket now.

This is now http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/11343, marked
critical - at the very least to get the login page to not allow '@' as
a symbol until we fix this.

Dan Drake

May 17, 2011, 9:57:52 PM5/17/11
to sage-n...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 17 May 2011 at 08:35AM -0700, kcrisman wrote:
> I have figured this out, and it's crazy. Nothing to do with Windows
> or anything else. TinyMCE does this if...
>

> You have an '@' in your username!

I can confirm this on 4.6.2 and 4.7.rc2, both with Firefox 4 and
Chromium 11 in Ubuntu.

We should be sure to report this upstream if this isn't solely a
notebook problem.

Dan

--
--- Dan Drake
----- http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake

signature.asc

kcrisman

May 17, 2011, 10:24:36 PM5/17/11
to sage-notebook

On May 17, 9:57 pm, Dan Drake <dr...@kaist.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2011 at 08:35AM -0700, kcrisman wrote:
> > I have figured this out, and it's crazy.  Nothing to do with Windows
> > or anything else.  TinyMCE does this if...
>
> > You have an '@' in your username!
>
> I can confirm this on 4.6.2 and 4.7.rc2, both with Firefox 4 and
> Chromium 11 in Ubuntu.
>
> We should be sure to report this upstream if this isn't solely a
> notebook problem.

How can we test that? Maybe it's if the URL has an @ anywhere in
it... Aha!

Actually, looks like this is known, so maybe the TinyMCE upgrade Jason
has in mind will fix this. Though the threads below seem to indicate
people found their own workarounds, not necessarily upstream...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3726573/tinymce-bug-symbol-in-link-url-makes-http-mce-host-appear
http://forums.alfresco.com/en/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=36691

Upstream, possibly related:
http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/develop/bugtracker_view.php?id=3064