sagemath on Android

Gordon

May 25, 2013, 9:45:18 PM5/25/13
to sage-m...@googlegroups.com
This is not immediately a sage-matroid question, but rather one step before...

On the Google Play store there is an Android app "SageMath (beta)" which presumably is meant to run Sage (remotely, I think, via a server not on the tablet itself).

I installed it, but it does nothing at all. I type "2 + 2" and press "Run" and nothing happens.

Does it work? On anything?

(This is on an up-to-date unmodified Nexus 7)

Michael Welsh

May 25, 2013, 9:52:48 PM5/25/13
to sage-m...@googlegroups.com
I run the iOS version fine. You should ask on sage-devel about the Android version, but it looks dead - http://code.google.com/p/sage-android/

Rob Beezer

May 25, 2013, 11:43:00 PM5/25/13
to sage-m...@googlegroups.com
I think the Android version is by Volker Braun and was more a proof-of-concept
that he hoped somebody would run with.

Ivan Andrus (iirc) spent a long time on an iOS version, which must be what
Stefan refers to.

You might find a "Sage Linear Algebra" application for Android which Sang-Gu Lee
and his students wrote - it use a back-end in Korea. There is also a keyboard
you can install, which is much more convenient for certain frequent Sage
constructs. This app should allow use any Sage command.

There is a web-page-form (also from Korea, iirc) version, formatted for very
small screens, where you type a single line of Sage code (use semi-colons for
multiple commands) and you get back the results as text.

Ideally, as the Sage cell server matures, there will be better front-ends on
mobile devices. Maybe the first two listed work this way and the Android one is
pointing to a non-existent server? (The names were in flux a while ago.)

Reply if you have trouble finding any of these and I can dig further.

Rob
> --
>
> ---

Rob Beezer

May 25, 2013, 11:43:44 PM5/25/13
to sage-m...@googlegroups.com
Ooops, it was Michael referencing the iOS version, not Stefan.

Volker Braun

May 26, 2013, 6:04:39 AM5/26/13
to sage-m...@googlegroups.com
Jason switched the server to a new transport (websockets) and that broke it.

Gordon Royle

May 27, 2013, 4:01:35 AM5/27/13
to sage-m...@googlegroups.com
Should it be (can it be) removed or marked as broken?