Google Summer of Code 2017

Stefan van Zwam

Jan 19, 2017, 2:56:49 PM1/19/17
to sage-matroid
Hi all,

Another year, another opportunity to let a student work on some code for SageMath. I'm happy to volunteer as a mentor again, and would like some input on stuff we'd like to see for matroids and/or graphs. Examples:

* representability tests over various fields. Maybe use decompositions and stabilizer theorems to cut down on the number of matrices to check?
* A framework for dealing with minor-closed classes: like a set data structure, but with some support for minors.
* linear extensions/coextensions that keep track of allowed vectors.
* Proper support for graphic/cographic/frame matroids (showing the graph, resigning across cuts, Whitney switching, etc.)
* Tangles and branch decompositions.
* Gammoids
* Bracket rings/Tutte groups/universal partial fields.

Note that in the end, the student will write a proposal based on her/his taste, but typically the list we put up serves as a major source of inspiration.

What would you guys find to be a useful addition?

Best,

Stefan.

Dillon Mayhew

Jan 20, 2017, 2:02:25 AM1/20/17
to sage-m...@googlegroups.com

I think it would be nice to see support for transversal matroids, which I guess would overlap with the gammoid project.

Cheers,

Dillon

--

---

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 19, 2018, 7:26:50 AM1/19/18
to sage-matroid
Any traction to continue with this this year?

Stefan van Zwam

Jan 19, 2018, 4:09:59 PM1/19/18
to sage-matroid
I added myself to the list again, with a similar collection of project suggestions to last year (transversal matroids, gammoids, graphic matroids got done by Zach Gershkoff).

--Stefan.