Google Summer of Code 2016

Stefan van Zwam

Jan 18, 2016, 12:11:51 PM1/18/16
to sage-matroid
Hi all,

SageMath is putting together a proposal for GSoC 2016. Last year, Chao Xu did a great job implementing various connectivity and matroid intersection algorithms. Michael Welsh and myself were both mentoring him. I'd like to get another student working on graphs and matroids for this year's edition, so I'm all ears for ideas. What are SageMath's biggest shortcomings when it comes to matroid theory?

Here are the proposals from the past two years:

So please share here:

1) project ideas/requests
2) whether you wish to mentor/co-mentor

The deadline for SageMath's application as a participating organization is FEBRUARY 19. The list of projects is an important part of this application, so please think about this before then.

Cheers,

Stefan.

Michael Welsh

Feb 8, 2016, 10:47:44 PM2/8/16
to sage-m...@googlegroups.com
> On 19/01/2016, at 0611, Stefan van Zwam <stefan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 2) whether you wish to mentor/co-mentor

I'm up for this again.

Stefan van Zwam

Feb 11, 2016, 11:29:59 AM2/11/16
to sage-matroid
Awesome! I added you to the project page as mentor. Any ideas on projects for this year?

Stefan van Zwam

Feb 11, 2016, 11:37:20 AM2/11/16
to sage-matroid

Rudi Pendavingh

Feb 11, 2016, 2:02:27 PM2/11/16
to sage-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,

I cannot commit to supervising the summer of code, unfortunately. But I do have some suggestions. First, looking at this year’s page:

3. I agree that certificates are a good idea, but if you want an isomorphism, you can already ask for M.isomorphism(N).
4. There already is a test for regular, binary, ternary in Sage. I coded these last summer. I made a ticket for quaternary too, but I ran out of time. Go ahead and do it, that would be a good project.
5. I really like that one.
6. Peter Nelson has made a suggestion for testing isomorphism of (dense) binary matroids: count the number of intersections in the ambient projective space between lines spanned by pairs of points of the matroid, and use that as an invariant.

I propose:
9. testing graphicness. This is low-hanging fruit. Cunningham’s algorithm for this is quite close to his 3-connectivity test, which has already been implemented in Sage. The existing algorithm works great on small matroids but has a poor asymptotic runing time. Cunningham’s algorithm would handle matroids up to 1000 elements gracefully, I estimate.

Best,
Rudi

--

---