Sage Days for high schoolers?

kcrisman

Apr 15, 2013, 8:43:49 PM4/15/13
to sage-ma...@googlegroups.com, sage...@googlegroups.com
See for instance http://mathematica-camp.org/about.html - which I will be teasing my open source advocate friend at Bentley about :)  I bet it's a money-maker for them, anyway, at $1700 a pop for housing that wouldn't be used in the summer anyway.

Certainly some of what William has done with HS students has been sort of like this.  It would fantastic if one could host something like this at a few colleges - or, more plausibly, convince some of the many math camps out there who are already OSS-friendly to be sure to advocate for R/Sage/Maxima/friends.   Especially if it were cheaper ;-)

Ideas?  Just throwing this out there.

- kcrisman

William Stein

Apr 15, 2013, 8:50:41 PM4/15/13
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 5:43 PM, kcrisman <kcri...@gmail.com> wrote:
See for instance http://mathematica-camp.org/about.html - which I will be teasing my open source advocate friend at Bentley about :)  I bet it's a money-maker for them, anyway, at $1700 a pop for housing that wouldn't be used in the summer anyway.

Certainly some of what William has done with HS students has been sort of like this.

I was lucky in that what I did was fully funded -- the students didn't have to pay for anything, and got full room and board, thanks to a huge anonymous donation to the program (SIMUW).

 It would fantastic if one could host something like this at a few colleges - or, more plausibly, convince some of the many math camps out there who are already OSS-friendly to be sure to advocate for R/Sage/Maxima/friends.   Especially if it were cheaper ;-)

Ideas?  Just throwing this out there.

- kcrisman

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington
http://wstein.org

William Stein

Apr 15, 2013, 10:36:51 PM4/15/13
to sage...@googlegroups.com, sage-ma...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 7:09 PM, michel paul <python...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a record of what you did with them? I'd be very interested.

But of course

https://github.com/williamstein/simuw12

(at least, that's last summer)

There are some older links here: http://wstein.org/courses/

> Thanks,
>
> - Michel
>> "sage-edu" group.
>> email to sage-edu+u...@googlegroups.com.
>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/sage-edu?hl=en.

> --
> ===================================
> "What I cannot create, I do not understand."
>
> - Richard Feynman

Jason Grout

Apr 15, 2013, 10:50:00 PM4/15/13
to sage-ma...@googlegroups.com
On 4/15/13 9:36 PM, William Stein wrote:
> There are some older links here:http://wstein.org/courses/

At one point I updated the financial ones and posted them here:

http://sage.cs.drake.edu/pub/

(see the bottom of the published worksheets)

Thanks,

Jason