CAS book

Hector Villafuerte

Jan 20, 2008, 5:48:14 PM1/20/08
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I would like to learn more about the inner workings of CAS in general,
and SAGE in particular. I just started reading "Algorithms for
Computer Algebra" by Geddes, Czapor, Labahn (MAPLE guys); but I wonder
if somebody in the SAGE community could recommend a good introductory
book for Computer Algebra (I have an engineering background, so I can
deal with some math).
Thanks,
--
Hector

Timothy Clemans

Jan 20, 2008, 7:36:49 PM1/20/08
to sage-forum
I showed "Modern Computer Algebra" to William Stein and Bill Hart.
They both seemed pretty impressed with the book.

didier deshommes

Jan 20, 2008, 10:09:23 PM1/20/08
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 20, 2008 7:36 PM, Timothy Clemans <timothy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I showed "Modern Computer Algebra" to William Stein and Bill Hart.
> They both seemed pretty impressed with the book.

+1 for "Modern Computer Algebra" (aka "the blue book"). You could also
find the following interesting:
- "Polynomial Algorithms in Computer Algebra " by F. Winkler
- "Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms", by Cox et al.
- Fundamental Problems in Algorithmic Algebra by Yapp
(ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/yap/algebra-bk/index.html)
- The Yacas manual which in my opinion has *very good* documentation
about data structures and algorithms used in this computer algebra
system: http://yacas.sourceforge.net/Algomanual.html .

didier

David Joyner

Jan 21, 2008, 7:49:32 AM1/21/08
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 20, 2008 7:36 PM, Timothy Clemans <timothy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I showed "Modern Computer Algebra" to William Stein and Bill Hart.
> They both seemed pretty impressed with the book.

I like MCA too. (In fact, anything written by Joachim von zur Gathen is good,
I think.)