published repo...

Glenn H Tarbox, PhD

Jun 20, 2008, 4:16:58 AM6/20/08
to sage-f...@googlegroups.com, Michael Abshoff
My repo, which I use internally to sync all my machines, can be found
at:

http://tarbox.org/sage/sage-ght/

hg can pull from that repo using http... its not fast but if you're
pulling into a recent release, it shouldn't be bad.

This repo, as I said, is my main repo and will be updated continuously.
I'll set up branches tomorrow so that "default" will be the "stable"
trunk and various other branches may exist as we decide... some shared,
some used by me when I'm just coding and pushing code around internally.

We'll come up with a strategy for naming and process.

Also, we should use the Twisted rule... meaning that there should be a
trac ticket for all the work going on... so post a ticket first
indicating what we're working on... So, Chris, you should probably add a
ticket for your current activities.

Also, Brett and Chris should put your .hg's on sage.math.washington.edu
inside directories called sage-(chris's directory name) and
sage-(Brett's directory name)

As you'll both be on the vpn, you'll be able to do file or ssh pulls
from my repo... and on sage.math I'll be able to do the same with ssh...
or naked http...

I'd like you to push frequently to your public repos. So, branch often,
merge often, and push often... I'll coordinate the "official" branch
and will post patches in coordination with mabshoff

-glenn

--
Glenn H. Tarbox, PhD || 206-494-0819 || gl...@tarbox.org
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any

Brett Nakashima

Jun 23, 2008, 7:02:28 PM6/23/08
to sage-f...@googlegroups.com
Hey Glenn and Chris,

Do we need to setup a meeting again to figure out tasks, or are people
already working on this. I'm pretty confused as to what I actually
should be working on right now. I only saw one trac ticket from about
finance ( I was looking on http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac ) , so I'm
assuming that there hasn't been much work since we had our meeting at
sage days.

-Brett

William Stein

Jun 23, 2008, 7:46:17 PM6/23/08
to sage-f...@googlegroups.com

Yes. I propose a meeting on Tuesday say at 10am. What do you
guys think? I'm insanely busy with this workshop this week, but can
easily spare an hour at the math department or sage lab.

I'm still waiting for keys to the sage lab for you guys.

-- William

Chris Swierczewski

Jun 23, 2008, 7:47:13 PM6/23/08
to sage-finance
Brett,

Trying to interpret this myself, allow me to describe what's been
going on so far. Before I do so, is the trac ticket in question #3356?
That's the current code for sage.finance. There's nothing in it so far
related to the implementation of Glenn's wrapped IB API. However, I've
been adding some related analytical tools for when we finally begin
streaming some financial data in Sage.

> Do we need to setup a meeting again to figure out tasks, or are people
> already working on this.  I'm pretty confused as to what I actually
> should be working on right now.  I only saw one trac ticket from about
> finance ( I was looking onhttp://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac) , so I'm
> assuming that there hasn't been much work since we had our meeting at
> sage days.

Right now Glenn is setting up his server for us to work on Sage in a
more "friendly" environment. (He is rewiring how Mercurial is handling
Sage.) If you haven't already, you should check out
http://wiki.sagemath.org/GlennTarbox/HgDevelopment for more info.
Methinks it will be updated soon with more instructions.

Glenn told me a ton of things (via his wiki and email) at once about
how we're going to get set up...so unfortunately I'm still a little
bit unsure of what path we're going to take with the setup. I can
imaging we won't get down to brass tacks until later this week. Until
then, I've been going though the suggested reading on
http://wiki.sagemath.org/GlennTarbox/QuantFin and doing what I can to
set up my computer. I'll have to break down and buy Paralells.

I'll keep you posted when more info comes around.

--
Chris

William Stein

Jun 23, 2008, 7:49:53 PM6/23/08
to sage-f...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Chris Swierczewski <cswi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> set up my computer. I'll have to break down and buy Paralells.

Just curious -- Why? (I really like Parallels, but I'm curious why it
is needed.)

William

Chris Swierczewski

Jun 23, 2008, 7:50:21 PM6/23/08
to sage-finance
Hey guys,

> Yes.  I propose a meeting on Tuesday say at 10am.    What do you
> guys think?  I'm insanely busy with this workshop this week, but can
> easily spare an hour at the math department or sage lab.

I have class until 10:30, so I'll meet you guys then.

> I'm still waiting for keys to the sage lab for you guys.

I'll pick them up from you tomorrow at 10:30.

--
Chris

Chris Swierczewski

Jun 23, 2008, 8:32:56 PM6/23/08
to sage-finance
William,

> Just curious -- Why?  (I really like Parallels, but I'm curious why it
> is needed.)

Given the elaborate networking setup, what with finely tuned ssh-ing
into Glenn's noc-box via openvpn and other reasons, I felt like I
might be more productive if I was working in a Linux environment. I've
found a free option using rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net/), a
boot manager that will allow me to use Boot Camp to create an Ubuntu
partition. From my research, it seems like there's no way to get a
dual boot working with Boot Camp without this piece of software. I've
tried myself and was unsuccessful in getting my computer to recognize
the partition after installation.

I'll give it a whirl tonight, unless you have any other suggestions. I
could get things working on OSX, but Glenn seems to be more familiar
with the Linux environment and his help is much appreciated.

--
Chris

William Stein

Jun 23, 2008, 8:46:52 PM6/23/08
to sage-f...@googlegroups.com

NO -- I do not have them yet. I am personally waiting to get them.

William

William Stein

Jun 23, 2008, 8:48:04 PM6/23/08
to sage-f...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Chris Swierczewski <cswi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> William,
>
>> Just curious -- Why? (I really like Parallels, but I'm curious why it
>> is needed.)
>
> Given the elaborate networking setup, what with finely tuned ssh-ing
> into Glenn's noc-box via openvpn and other reasons, I felt like I
> might be more productive if I was working in a Linux environment. I've
> found a free option using rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net/), a
> boot manager that will allow me to use Boot Camp to create an Ubuntu
> partition. From my research, it seems like there's no way to get a
> dual boot working with Boot Camp without this piece of software. I've
> tried myself and was unsuccessful in getting my computer to recognize
> the partition after installation.

I highly recommend not using Boot camp.

> I'll give it a whirl tonight, unless you have any other suggestions. I
> could get things working on OSX, but Glenn seems to be more familiar
> with the Linux environment and his help is much appreciated.

In this case, you should definitely try parallels. There is a free 30-day
trial...

-- William

Glenn H Tarbox, PhD

Jun 23, 2008, 8:53:22 PM6/23/08
to sage-f...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 17:48 -0700, William Stein wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Chris Swierczewski <cswi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > William,
> >
> >> Just curious -- Why? (I really like Parallels, but I'm curious why it
> >> is needed.)
> >
> > Given the elaborate networking setup, what with finely tuned ssh-ing
> > into Glenn's noc-box via openvpn and other reasons, I felt like I
> > might be more productive if I was working in a Linux environment. I've
> > found a free option using rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net/), a
> > boot manager that will allow me to use Boot Camp to create an Ubuntu
> > partition. From my research, it seems like there's no way to get a
> > dual boot working with Boot Camp without this piece of software. I've
> > tried myself and was unsuccessful in getting my computer to recognize
> > the partition after installation.

We had everything running fine... it was just strangeness like mounting
the disk over NFS etc... which we really don't need but would be nice
etc.

> I highly recommend not using Boot camp.

which was my feeling as well. Seems like its too easy to have "both
kinds" and for $50 (I said I'd spring) its simply not worth screwing
around with...

> > I'll give it a whirl tonight, unless you have any other suggestions. I
> > could get things working on OSX, but Glenn seems to be more familiar
> > with the Linux environment and his help is much appreciated.
>
> In this case, you should definitely try parallels. There is a free 30-day
> trial...
>
> -- William

Brett Nakashima

Jun 23, 2008, 9:39:38 PM6/23/08
to sage-f...@googlegroups.com

Chris Swierczewski wrote:
> Hey guys,
>

>> Yes. I propose a meeting on Tuesday say at 10am. What do you
>> guys think? I'm insanely busy with this workshop this week, but can
>> easily spare an hour at the math department or sage lab.
>>

> I have class until 10:30, so I'll meet you guys then.

I can meet tomorrow at 10:00, I'll check my email before I head over, so
just let me know where you want to meet.

William Stein

Jun 23, 2008, 10:52:16 PM6/23/08
to sage-f...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Brett Nakashima <bret...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris Swierczewski wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>

>>> Yes. I propose a meeting on Tuesday say at 10am. What do you
>>> guys think? I'm insanely busy with this workshop this week, but can
>>> easily spare an hour at the math department or sage lab.
>>>

>> I have class until 10:30, so I'll meet you guys then.
>>
> I can meet tomorrow at 10:00, I'll check my email before I head over, so
> just let me know where you want to meet.

Brett and Chris -- Let's all meet 10:30 -- 11:30 in my office, OK?

William

Brett Nakashima

Jun 23, 2008, 10:56:02 PM6/23/08
to sage-f...@googlegroups.com
That sounds good to me.
> William

Chris Swierczewski

Jun 23, 2008, 11:19:58 PM6/23/08
to sage-f...@googlegroups.com
11:30 in William's office. Check.

> Brett and Chris -- Let's all meet 10:30 -- 11:30 in my office, OK?

--
Chris

William Stein

Jun 23, 2008, 11:21:55 PM6/23/08