Re: Sage

William Stein

Jul 9, 2008, 1:11:15 AM7/9/08
to Brett Nakashima, sage-f...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Brett Nakashima
<bret...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Hey William,
>
> I think that I actually want to use the Google Protocol Buffers that Glenn
> was talking about in his email to the finance group instead of xml-rpc. The
> java api for google PB is much less complicated than either java xml-rpc
> implementation and I think it's much better for this, as well as far simpler
> to code.

This might be a good idea given that Google evidently released client and
servers for doing Protocol Buffers for Python, C++ and Java. Please create
a simple and complete example that (1) involves using Java and Python to
add two integers and (2) *I* can try out. It should look something like this:

(1) start some java program
(2) start Sage
(3) sage: a = connect_to_that_java_program_via_a_port
(4) sage: a.add(3,5)
8

If PB is any good, this should take you at most 4 hours and will
be worth doing. If you can't do it in a mere 4 hours, I question
the quality of PB.

-- William

Glenn H Tarbox, PhD

Jul 9, 2008, 1:29:58 AM7/9/08
to sage-f...@googlegroups.com, Brett Nakashima

The remote call will be blocking... which is fine. It will prove the
point you're looking to prove.

Simultaneously, I'll write a twisted asynchronous client to the same
java server and show how to write a non-blocking client for simple
request-response handling. I think this would be useful to illustrate
how to write asynchhronous clients...

-glenn

--
Glenn H. Tarbox, PhD || 206-494-0819 || gl...@tarbox.org
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any

William Stein

Jul 9, 2008, 1:32:04 AM7/9/08
to sage-f...@googlegroups.com

Excellent. That's a good plan.