Re: [sage-devel] Proposal to enhance date / time features

William Stein

Feb 11, 2009, 6:03:03 PM2/11/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, Phaedon Sinis, sage-f...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:23 PM, ghtdak <gl...@tarbox.org> wrote:

> Python pretty much punted on date and time. It has some support, but
> its not very good.
>
> The Python Quick Reference: http://rgruet.free.fr/PQR25/PQR2.5.html
>
> suggests mxDateTime: http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxBase/mxDateTime/
>
> and, having worked with it, I recommend it over what comes native with
> Python. My guess is this is why Python hasn't bothered.
>
> A quick glance through the license doesn't show anything obviously
> problematic. Seems to be the Python license but I don't know if that
> makes sense...
>
> My proposal is to add something for date and time handling. Looks
> like mx might be the right approach.
>
> Questions? Comments? Jokes?
>
> -glenn

I know that Phaedon Sinis's new package for quantitative finance in
Sage, which he intends to submit within about 2 weeks, has lots of
more sophisticated date/time handling than what is builtin to Python,
at least stuff motivated by finance. I'm guessing you're also
interested in datetime functionality motivated by finance. So
Phaedon, care to make any remarks?

William