Another Sage review - from CUNY Math blog

kcrisman

Mar 21, 2013, 9:15:05 AM3/21/13
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, sage...@googlegroups.com
I hadn't seen this before. I think it definitely belongs in the "positive views of Sage" category.   I notice that maybe we want to reorganize http://sagemath.org/library.html or find ways to allow it to be updated more frequently.  At the very least, there are so many independent (i.e. non-Sage developer) reviews of Sage online now that it could easily be a category.

http://cunymathblog.commons.gc.cuny.edu/2012/04/09/sage/

Despite the overall positive tone, I have to say my favorite quote is:

"I can not help but editorialize that installing and using SageTeX took me approximately 4 hours of hair tearing frustration — it is comparable in difficulty to capturing the pegasus."

john_perry_usm

Mar 21, 2013, 4:25:32 PM3/21/13
On Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:15:05 AM UTC-5, kcrisman wrote:
Despite the overall positive tone, I have to say my favorite quote is:

"I can not help but editorialize that installing and using SageTeX took me approximately 4 hours of hair tearing frustration — it is comparable in difficulty to capturing the pegasus."

I'd say that capturing the Pegasus required either a lot more or a lot less than 4 hours, depending on how you read the tale. On the other hand, perhaps he just means to say that Sage is as elegant and useful as Pegasus, in which case I concur wholeheartedly. :-)

Now, editing this HTML-based Google groups editor using a MacBook -- THAT difficulty is comparable to capturing the Pegasus.

john perry

Volker Braun

Mar 21, 2013, 4:37:38 PM3/21/13
On Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:25:32 PM UTC+1, john_perry_usm wrote:
On the other hand, perhaps he just means to say that Sage is as elegant and useful as Pegasus, in which case I concur wholeheartedly. :-)

As useful as a horse with wings? Like, you also need a roof over your paddock? And falling off your horse is no longer just a risk of broken bones but certain death? ;-)

William Stein

Mar 21, 2013, 7:45:44 PM3/21/13
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, sage...@googlegroups.com, sage-flame
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM, john_perry_usm <john....@usm.edu> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:15:05 AM UTC-5, kcrisman wrote:
>>
>> Despite the overall positive tone, I have to say my favorite quote is:
>>
>> "I can not help but editorialize that installing and using SageTeX took me
>> approximately 4 hours of hair tearing frustration — it is comparable in
>> difficulty to capturing the pegasus."
>

> I'd say that capturing the Pegasus required either a lot more or a lot less
> than 4 hours, depending on how you read the tale. On the other hand, perhaps
> he just means to say that Sage is as elegant and useful as Pegasus, in which
> case I concur wholeheartedly. :-)

Fateman famously asked [1] over 7 years ago "Is SAGE an elephant with
feathers?" and then concluded that Sage "is essentially doomed". Now
we see the hole in his argument -- Sage is a horse with feathers, not
an elephant!

[1] http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.math.symbolic/2005-12/msg00096.html

Luiz Felipe Martins

Mar 22, 2013, 9:49:40 AM3/22/13
to sage...@googlegroups.com
It may be little consolation for end users, but people do not realize
what a tour de force SageTeX is.

It also took me a while to get SageTeX to work on my Mac, but it is
worth every minute of it.

kcrisman

Mar 22, 2013, 12:57:11 PM3/22/13
to sage...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, March 22, 2013 9:49:40 AM UTC-4, lfmartins wrote:
It may be little consolation for end users, but people do not realize
what a tour de force SageTeX is.

It also took me a while to get SageTeX to work on my Mac, but it is
worth every minute of it.

+1

Does anyone with experience with Sweave/knitr (in R) have any comments about whether SageTeX is easier or harder to use than that?

Dan Drake

Mar 22, 2013, 2:47:24 PM3/22/13
to sage...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 at 09:57AM -0700, kcrisman wrote:
> Does anyone with experience with Sweave/knitr (in R) have any comments
> about whether SageTeX is easier or harder to use than that?

I used Sweave to write an exam (which also used SageTeX...) and looking
at it again, I see that after you run "R CMD Sweave ..." (which is built
into R the same way that the SageTeX Python module is built into Sage),
you get a LaTeX file that requires Sweave.sty. That .sty file is, on my
computer, in /usr/share/R/share/texmf/tex/latex/ and I just made a
symlink to that from my own texmf directory.

So it seems to be about the same effort to me. (But perhaps I'm not a
good person to make that judgment...) I'll make a note to compare some
of the R things when I fix up the SageTeX installation guide.

Dan

--
--- Dan Drake
----- http://math.pugetsound.edu/~ddrake

kcrisman

Mar 22, 2013, 8:58:04 PM3/22/13
to sage...@googlegroups.com
By the way, the "state of the art" is now the knitr package.

Note the pgf use, and "allowing any languages", whatever that means.

Jason Grout

Mar 22, 2013, 10:09:58 PM3/22/13
to sage...@googlegroups.com
On 3/22/13 7:58 PM, kcrisman wrote:
> Note the pgf use, and "allowing any languages", whatever that means.

Note that the newest version of matplotlib has a pgf output option, so
we could in theory (once we upgrade) have sagetex output pgf if we wanted...

Jason

Dan Drake

Mar 23, 2013, 12:16:25 PM3/23/13
to sage...@googlegroups.com
I tested it...if you install the matplotlib spkg from #13693 and change
plot.py so you can save to .pgf files -- it works fine. It will need
some work to make it easy to use from SageTeX, but I'm excited about it.
signature.asc