2nd edition of Sage for Undergraduates is almost ready

Gregory Bard

Aug 19, 2021, 3:00:29 PM8/19/21
to sage-edu

Dear community,

I am pleased to announce that the 2nd edition of Sage for
Undergraduates is almost ready. I hope to post the PDF file
by August 31st. All of the code has been updated, including
those pesky print statements.

I am extremely grateful that one of my best students has
coded up a huge HTML archive containing every code block
longer than 4 lines in the entire book, so that readers will
not have to retype code, nor wrestle with the awkwardness
of copy-and-paste.

With enthusiasm for the new school year,
---Greg

p.s. There's roughly 80 pages of new material, including many
more "challenges" to aid students (and faculty) who are learning
on their own time.

henri....@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2021, 5:04:03 AM9/30/21
to sage-edu
Impatient to read it !

henri....@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2021, 10:09:09 AM11/8/21
to sage-edu
Where is it ?
Henri

Klaus Scheicher

Jun 15, 2022, 5:26:56 AM6/15/22
to sage-edu
Dear Prof. Bard!

Did you already publish your new book? Unfortunately I can not find it anywhere.

Yours, sincerely,
Klaus Scheicher.

Gregory Bard

Jun 16, 2022, 3:45:59 PM6/16/22
to sage-edu
Dear sage-edu Google Group,

I'm happy that so many people are asking about the 2nd edition of Sage for Undergraduates, which will be released shortly.

I apologize for not responding sooner to the several members of the community who have emailed me about the book's status. Things have been difficult for my family. (I will explain in the post-script.)

At this time, the American Mathematical Society and I just wrapped up the cover design and work is almost done on the book's website: www.sage-for-undergraduates.org

That website has a nice feature: every code block longer than 4 lines in the entire book is contained in a code archive, so that students will not have to retype all that code! This was made possible through SageMathCell. The code archive is up and running now at sage-for-undergraduates.org

In any case, thank you all for your encouragement on this huge project. The book will be released soon!
---Gregory

p.s. I'm sorry that the 2nd edition was delayed so long, and I know that this has inconvenienced some instructors. The 2021-2022 academic year, and especially the 2020-2021 academic year, were both extremely challenging. In early April 2022, my husband and I received news that my mother-in-law was on her deathbed. We made weekend visits, another trip for the funeral, and now we are sorting through her belongings. It's really hard to get significant work done on a book in this sort of situation. Nonetheless, I'm getting some work done, and going through the "galley proofs" process on this 487-page book, as well as answering the 141 author queries.