Is Sage suitable for writing analysis proofs?

Meem

May 5, 2019, 9:23:22 AM5/5/19
to sage-edu
Hi,

(Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question).

When I don't have access to paper and/or a large work surface (for example on a coach seat in an airplane): I try to compose my proofs using LaTeX.

So I copy the previous line -- cross out terms -- perform additional manipulations and continue till I hit a wall or finish the proof.

I'm half decent at LaTeX, but the syntax is so verbose that it becomes tiring.

I am thinking of using a more compact representation with some possible algebraic support from the underlying system.

I've been (briefly) checking out Sage and am delighted that I can convert stuff to LaTeX.

So I guess my question has the following parts:

1. Is Sage suitable for writing proofs?

2. Does it have any facilities to keep the arguments/steps in a proof format -- kind of like in LaTeX there is a proof typesetting option?

3. What tutorials should I look at for this type of work -- the stuff I wish to tackle first is mostly simple proofs from say an introductory course in analysis -- mostly delta/epsilon stuff.

Thanks!

David Joyner

May 5, 2019, 10:31:39 AM5/5/19
to SAGE edu
On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 9:23 AM Meem <memmak...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Are you using sagetex? There's a manual here:

3. What tutorials should I look at for this type of work -- the stuff I wish to tackle first is mostly simple proofs from say an introductory course in analysis -- mostly delta/epsilon stuff.

Thanks!

kcrisman

May 6, 2019, 9:41:36 AM5/6/19
to sage-edu

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 10:31:39 AM UTC-4, David Joyner wrote:

[...]

Another open-source option you may find more congenial to your needs is Lurch - http://lurchmath.org

Meem

Meem

May 7, 2019, 8:42:47 PM5/7/19
to sage-edu
Thanks -- looks interesting

Oras P.

May 14, 2019, 5:52:14 PM5/14/19
to sage-edu
You might be interested in LyX as well. It's designed for typesetting, but simplifies a lot of math expressions in LaTeX.