Lie symmetries of differential equations

Furkan Semih Dündar

Jun 11, 2020, 6:22:15 AM6/11/20
to sage...@googlegroups.com
Dearl All,

I recently bought the book that I studied in my PhD years. It is "Differential Equations: their solution using symmetries" by Hans Stephani. https://www.amazon.com/Differential-Equations-Their-Solution-Symmetries/dp/0521355311/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=hans+stephani+differential+equation&qid=1591870417&sr=8-1

In the book, methods to solve nonlinear ODE's or PDE's are given if the differential equation has an underlying Lie group symmetry. I remember using the program "Reduce" in the course. It may be useful.

My aim is to incorporate the methods given in the book to Sage Math. So if you are interested maybe we can form a small group to contribute to Sage in this respect. I believe the ability to solve complex differential equations is quite important for a symbolic math software. Please let me know if you are interested.

Best regards,

--
F. Semih Dündar

kcrisman

Jun 11, 2020, 10:49:43 AM6/11/20
to sage-edu
Hi!  This group is more for discussion of educational and teaching ideas.  Implementing new capability in Sage for solving differential equations would get more people on the sage-devel Google group.  Note that a lot of our functionality is used from Maxima; perhaps it has some of this implemented already? Good luck!

Furkan Semih Dündar

Jun 12, 2020, 1:32:31 AM6/12/20
to sage...@googlegroups.com
Dear kcrisman

I mistakenly sent the email to sage-edu group. When I noticed my mistake I re-sent it to sage-devel group. As far as I see, Sage lacks many functionality in terms of differential equations. So there is a lot to develop. Thanks for your note.

Best wishes,
Furkan.

F. Semih Dündar