Use of SageMath for teaching (with elements of GAP)

Alexander Konovalov

Feb 13, 2020, 7:22:21 AM2/13/20
to sage-edu
Hello everyone,

I am interested in finding examples of using Sagemath for teaching mathematics (and mathematical topics in related disciplines) - is there an up-to-date collection of references to such courses somewhere on the SageMath website?

My particular interest is in examples when SageMath uses in teaching in ways that also expose some GAP functionality. If you do this in your course, or know such examples, I would be very grateful for letting me know.

Thanks
Alexander

kcrisman

Feb 13, 2020, 1:43:13 PM2/13/20
to sage-edu
There is at least David Joyner's book on group theory adventures:

And Tom Judson's abstract algebra book:
http://abstract.pugetsound.edu/aata/actions-sage.html is an example I am pretty sure uses some GAP functionality, for example.

I hope others on this list think of other Sage/GAP related resources online.

slelievre

Feb 16, 2020, 11:54:20 AM2/16/20
to sage-edu
Thu 2020-02-13 12:22:21 UTC, Alexander Konovalov:
Sadly there is no up-to-date list of courses using SageMath,
it is a good point, and I wish me did maintain such a list.

Regarding textbooks based on SageMath, see the last few posts
to this list:

- sage-edu, 2020-01-21, Karl-Dieter Crisman
  And well-known Sage book, now in Spanish

- sage-edu, 2020-01-18, Karl-Dieter Crisman
  Sage book in Portuguese

- sage-edu, 2019-12-23, Dana Ernst
  Links to Sage-related books

More specifically about the UK, you might check with Fredrik Strömberg
whether he got any replies to his sage-edu post:

- sage-edu, 2019-09-26, Fredrik Strömberg
  SageMath educational users in the UK?