Dynatomic polynomials

David Krumm

Aug 11, 2014, 11:35:44 AM8/11/14
to sage-d...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to compute dynatomic polynomials over QQ in such a way that they can be coerced to have GF(p) coefficients, the idea being that I'll do this for many primes p so I only want to compute the polynomial once. When I use the following code I don't see how to change the base ring. Any ideas on how to get around this?

K.<c> = FunctionField(QQ)
A.<x> = AffineSpace(K,1)
H=Hom(A,A)
f=H([x^2+c])
f.dynatomic_polynomial(3)

Vincent Delecroix

Aug 11, 2014, 11:55:17 AM8/11/14
to sage-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There are several weirdness there. First of all there are several ways
to deal with function field. One is with FunctionField as you did and
the other one with

sage: R = PolynomialRing(QQ, 'c')
sage: K = R.fraction_field()
sage: c = K.gen()

the method above seems to work better with coercion as you will see.
Then you can repeat what you did

sage: A.<x> = AffineSpace(K,1)
sage: H=Hom(A,A)
sage: f=H([x^2+c])
sage: g = f.dynatomic_polynomial(3)
sage: g.parent()
Fraction Field of Univariate Polynomial Ring in x over Fraction Field
of Univariate Polynomial Ring in c over Rational Field

For the coercion you can then do

sage: K13 = PolynomialRing(GF(13), 'c').fraction_field()
sage: FF13 = PolynomialRing(K13,'x').fraction_field()
sage: FF13(g)
x^6 + x^5 + (3*c + 1)*x^4 + (2*c + 1)*x^3 + (3*c^2 + 3*c + 1)*x^2 +
(c^2 + 2*c + 1)*x + c^3 + 2*c^2 + c + 1

The last line above does not work if you use FunctionField instead...

This might not be the best solution but I hope it helps,
Vincent

David Krumm

Aug 12, 2014, 7:39:51 AM8/12/14
to sage-d...@googlegroups.com