something to look at...

Glenn H Tarbox, PhD

Jun 29, 2008, 6:19:42 AM6/29/08
to sage-d...@googlegroups.com
All,

More cleanup and, um, documentation is needed. But a working version is
up at the repos

hg - http://tarbox.org:9000
git - http://tarbox.org:8080

I'll be documenting the code tomorrow and over time. A personal failing
I'm going to overcome. the best description of the system can be found
at:

http://wiki.sagemath.org/DsageNg/ScatterGather

There's a lot to do, but the core technical approach seems sound and
works amazingly well. The combination of python processing, foolscap
and twisted makes formerly hard hard things really easy.

The code is overly terse which is exacerbated by lack of documentation.
However, there isn't a lot of code needed given foolscap, twisted, and
pyprocessing. But if you're not Twisted-savy, it'll seem strange.

As I'm relatively new to Sage, I haven't made an spkg for foolscap.
Also, I'm running the latest twisted pulled from their svn head. I'm
guessing the existing version in Sage will work but I haven't tested.

If you decide to download twisted, grab the svn trunk or you'll need to
install the tarball for twisted and web2 which have been split out in
the tarballs but are still present in the trunk. There's apparently a
reason for this...

Where I'm headed next are other applications beyond scatter-gather.

Comments, suggestions, and random thoughts welcome.

-glenn

--
Glenn H. Tarbox, PhD || 206-494-0819 || gl...@tarbox.org
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any

Jun 29, 2008, 3:53:10 PM6/29/08
to sage-dsageng
Twisted:
- Descriptive: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7871