RuntimeError: ECL says: THROW: The catch MACSYMA-QUIT is undefined.

Eviatar

Nov 14, 2011, 12:56:45 AM11/14/11
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting a strange error with the following command:

find_maximum_on_interval(-x^2 + 9*x, 4.4, 8)

this returns the error:

RuntimeError: ECL says: THROW: The catch MACSYMA-QUIT is undefined.

I tried this on 4.7.2, 4.7.1, and on the single-cell server, and the same thing occurs.

Nils Bruin

Nov 14, 2011, 1:57:36 PM11/14/11
to sage-devel
The documentation of find_maximum_on_interval shows this is a
numerical function that is not prepared to take symbolic expressions.
However, the error message is deplorable. Ticket:

Eviatar

Nov 15, 2011, 2:50:26 PM11/15/11
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I see. However, this is not made explicit in the documentation, and it does work with symbolics sometimes. For example,

find_maximum_on_interval(-x^2 + 9*x, 1, 3)