Help wanted: Trac wiki migration, improve markup conversion code

Matthias Koeppe

Nov 14, 2022, 3:55:33 PM11/14/22
to sage-devel
As the next step in our migration to GitHub, let's migrate the Trac wiki.

I have done a preliminary conversion of the using our conversion script (https://github.com/sagemath/trac-to-github.git) to markdown files, now at https://github.com/sagemath/trac_to_gh/wiki

As you can see, not all markup is converted correctly. Help is welcome with extending our conversion script. (Please send PRs)

Here's how to run the conversion:

$ git clone https://github.com/sagemath/trac-to-github.git  # the conversion script
$ cd trac-to-github
$ ln -s migrate.cfg.sagetracwikionly migrate.cfg
$ git clone https://github.com/sagemath/trac_to_gh.wiki.git wiki  # Target repo
$ ./migrate.py  # writes into wiki/

kcrisman

Nov 15, 2022, 1:53:13 PM11/15/22
to sage-devel
Question (which I am unfortunately unable to assess): Is it possible that Trac ticket link of the form #xyzwv could automatically become links to the same GH issues once all migration is complete?  I'm thinking of pages like https://github.com/sagemath/trac_to_gh/wiki/symbolics - the Trac version of this was quite useful.

Matthias Koeppe

Nov 15, 2022, 2:15:55 PM11/15/22
to sage-devel
For now I would create links with URLs of Trac tickets.
They can be easily rewritten by a script as soon as we have migrated Trac tickets to GH Issues.

seb....@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2022, 12:55:38 PM11/16/22
to sage-devel

For now I would create links with URLs of Trac tickets.

I’ve opened PR 15 for this.

What else is of importance? The headings in the tables, I guess.

Christopher Swenson

Nov 16, 2022, 2:11:02 PM11/16/22
to sage-devel
I don't know if this is helpful, but I wrote a script to convert the trac wiki to GitHub ~9 years ago: https://github.com/swenson/sagewiki to convert the trac / MoinMoin pages to gollum (github wiki).

Matthias Koeppe

Nov 16, 2022, 2:48:02 PM11/16/22
to sage-devel
Thank you! Merged and updated https://github.com/sagemath/trac_to_gh/wiki

Some more issues that I have spotted:

Sections with fragment names
e.g. `== Legacy sage-trac Account Request == #legacy-account-request`

Various bad links

Various missing links
e.g. [wiki:symbolics/maxima] and [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_computation]

Matthias Koeppe

Nov 16, 2022, 2:49:00 PM11/16/22
to sage-devel
Thanks! I've added this link to https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/33725
On first look, it seems this is for converting the moinmoin wiki, not the trac wiki

seb....@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2022, 1:10:15 PM11/17/22
to sage-devel

What else is of importance? The headings in the tables, I guess.

This PR 16, now.

seb....@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2022, 2:38:19 AM11/21/22
to sage-devel

I opened issue #18 to collect the tasks related to this thread. I asked a few questions there. Please take a look.