GSoC 2016 project on algebraic curves

Grayson Jorgenson

May 2, 2016, 4:38:12 AM5/2/16
to sage-devel
Hi everyone,

I am one of the students selected to work on Sage this summer for GSoC 2016 and just wanted to introduce myself and my project here. Currently I am a pure math graduate student at Florida State University and am interested in algebraic geometry. The goal of the GSoC project I will be working on is to expand the algebraic curve functionality in Sage. In particular, I will be working on implementing functionality for analysis/resolution of singularities, intersection analysis, finding plane curve models, and computing rational parameterizations (when they exist) for algebraic curves. My mentors for this project are Benjamin Hutz and Miguel Marco.

I really appreciate having the opportunity to work on this as a GSoC project and am excited to get started. Thank you!

Grayson

mmarco

May 2, 2016, 2:24:15 PM5/2/16
to sage-devel
Welcome!

Now we have a couple of weeks for "community bonding" before you actually start working in the project. I guess that means this is the time where you get used to Sage development workflow: the trac server, review process, discussions in this mailing lists and so on. Since you have already some experience in Sage devlopment, you are probably familiar with all that. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have, and to participate in the discussions that you could be interested in.

Do you plan to document your progress in a blog?

Grayson Jorgenson

May 2, 2016, 4:18:28 PM5/2/16
to sage-devel
Thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to mentor this project!

I don't yet have a blog but will create one soon. I will post a link here when it is up and will use it to document the project progress. My Sage experience so far has mostly been with the arithmetic dynamics functionality and progress in that area is managed within a page of the Sage wiki. Is there a place for documenting goals/progress for general algebraic geometry related functionality in Sage?

Right now I'm set up to work in the location I will be staying during the summer. I think it would be good for me to try to get a head start on implementing what I have planned if possible. I also want to test the rational parameterization and genus functionality in Singular before the coding period starts.

mmarco

May 3, 2016, 2:39:49 AM5/3/16
to sage-devel

I don't yet have a blog but will create one soon. I will post a link here when it is up and will use it to document the project progress. My Sage experience so far has mostly been with the arithmetic dynamics functionality and progress in that area is managed within a page of the Sage wiki. Is there a place for documenting goals/progress for general algebraic geometry related functionality in Sage?

As far as i know, there is not such place. But it could be a good idea to start it.