Git repository should have Sage versions as branches not tags

188 views
Skip to first unread message

John Phamlore

unread,
Jul 13, 2016, 9:53:21 PM7/13/16
to sage-devel
The mirror at

https://github.com/sagemath/sage

has only two branches, develop and master.  Versions seem to be kept as tags.

However, editing sage.yaml of binary-pkg

https://github.com/sagemath/binary-pkg

does not work for tags.

kcrisman

unread,
Jul 14, 2016, 11:39:02 AM7/14/16
to sage-devel


However, editing sage.yaml of binary-pkg

https://github.com/sagemath/binary-pkg

does not work for tags.

Hmm, somehow I was able to come up with something, though I may be remembering wrong ... anyway, git definitely (so far as I can tell) would discourage a version release being a branch as opposed to a tag, so maybe binary-pkg needs more flexibility if there are many people trying to do something other than make a binary for the most recent develop or master?

Volker Braun

unread,
Jul 14, 2016, 12:41:50 PM7/14/16
to sage-devel
Checking out a branch or a tag should be pretty much the same. The only potential pitfall is that you need to quote numbers in yaml, otherwise they are interpreted as numbers. So change

branch: develop

into e.g.

branch: '7.2'

Paul Masson

unread,
Jul 16, 2016, 5:19:21 PM7/16/16
to sage-devel
The mirror actually has three branches. This one hasn't been touched in over a year:


Shouldn't it be removed at some point?

Volker Braun

unread,
Jul 17, 2016, 4:56:38 AM7/17/16
to sage-devel
done

Paul Masson

unread,
Jul 17, 2016, 5:06:37 PM7/17/16
to sage-devel
Thanks.

Another question: who closes Issues and Pull Requests on Github that have been marked ready for closure?

Volker Braun

unread,
Jul 17, 2016, 7:03:26 PM7/17/16
to sage-devel
Don't know, possibly nobody

Samuel Lelievre

unread,
Jul 18, 2016, 4:12:31 AM7/18/16
to sage-devel
There is a bot (called sageb0t) that turns pull requests on GitHub into trac tickets.

It might be that the bot also closes pull requests when the corresponding tickets
have been closed on trac and a new public release of Sage happens (github pull
requests are typically against the master branch and public releases are when
this branch gets updated).

The bot is maintained by Robert Bradshaw, he might be able to comment more.

Erik Bray

unread,
Jul 18, 2016, 6:17:52 AM7/18/16
to sage-devel
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Samuel Lelievre
<samuel....@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a bot (called sageb0t) that turns pull requests on GitHub into trac
> tickets.
>
> It might be that the bot also closes pull requests when the corresponding
> tickets
> have been closed on trac and a new public release of Sage happens (github
> pull
> requests are typically against the master branch and public releases are
> when
> this branch gets updated).
>
> The bot is maintained by Robert Bradshaw, he might be able to comment more.
> See https://wiki.sagemath.org/Infrastructure

Oh, I didn't know that! I was just thinking the other day that we
should have such a thing. Good to see it's already done.

Additionally, I think we should allow issues (without code) to be
posted on GitHub, and have an easy way to convert a GitHub issue to a
Trac ticket. I don't think it should be done for all issues, but
rather use GitHub as the "user-facing" issue tracker, while Trac is
the developer-facing issue tracker. So a one-click way to make a Trac
ticket from a GitHub issue could be useful.

> Le dimanche 17 juillet 2016 23:06:37 UTC+2, Paul Masson a écrit :
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Another question: who closes Issues and Pull Requests on Github that have
>> been marked ready for closure?
>>
>> On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 1:56:38 AM UTC-7, Volker Braun wrote:
>>>
>>> done
>>>
>>> On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 11:19:21 PM UTC+2, Paul Masson wrote:
>>>>
>>>> The mirror actually has three branches. This one hasn't been touched in
>>>> over a year:
>>>>
>>>> https://github.com/sagemath/sage/tree/module-list-cleanup
>>>>
>>>> Shouldn't it be removed at some point?
>>>>
>>>> On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 6:53:21 PM UTC-7, John Phamlore wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> The mirror at
>>>>>
>>>>> https://github.com/sagemath/sage
>>>>>
>>>>> has only two branches, develop and master. Versions seem to be kept as
>>>>> tags.
>>>>>
>>>>> However, editing sage.yaml of binary-pkg
>>>>>
>>>>> https://github.com/sagemath/binary-pkg
>>>>>
>>>>> does not work for tags.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "sage-devel" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to sage-devel+...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to sage-...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Thierry

unread,
Jul 18, 2016, 6:46:04 AM7/18/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:17:48PM +0200, Erik Bray wrote:
[...]
> Additionally, I think we should allow issues (without code) to be
> posted on GitHub, and have an easy way to convert a GitHub issue to a
> Trac ticket. I don't think it should be done for all issues, but
> rather use GitHub as the "user-facing" issue tracker, while Trac is
> the developer-facing issue tracker. So a one-click way to make a Trac
> ticket from a GitHub issue could be useful.

Why not. Though it will require some human work to select and incorporate valid
issues for the long term and in a regular basis. This is the main problem that
has to be solved, beyond writing an interface. Indeed, we used to have a google
spreadsheet to report bugs, that was just rotting, see e.g.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/sage-devel/google$20bug$20report/sage-devel/FvxgKfI9CZU/MhfiZBJQJ3IJ
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/sage-devel/google$20bug$20report/sage-devel/EX4OYOlZqPI/meYYOuV-GXEJ

Note that ask also plays a role of bug reporting, see the confirmed_bug and
fixed_bug tags:

http://ask.sagemath.org/questions/scope:all/sort:activity-desc/tags:confirmed_bug/page:1/
http://ask.sagemath.org/questions/scope:all/sort:activity-desc/tags:fixed_bug/page:1/

It is unfortunately absolutely not automated, but it works pretty well, due to
the fact that some developers get connected frequently.

Ciao,
Thierry

Erik Bray

unread,
Jul 18, 2016, 9:00:53 AM7/18/16
to sage-devel
Right, there's little hope of automating such a thing. Some people
have to actually check the issue reports on GH and review them. Many
will probably tend to be duplicates which can be closed quickly.

I would just see it as an extension of the bug reports that come
through sage-devel. If it were me, I'd be filtering them all into one
bucket. Others, if they find GH issues to add too much noise, can
ignore/unsubscribe from them.

Paul Masson

unread,
Jul 18, 2016, 5:00:35 PM7/18/16
to sage-devel
Samuel, there are a couple pull requests from the middle of 2015 that never became Trac tickets. The bot appears to have stopped creating tickets before then.

There are open pull requests from the end of 2014 that became part of Sage 6.4. The bot does not appear to close pull requests on GitHub.

The infrastructure wiki page lists Volker and Harald as the only admins for GitHub. Are there any others who could close the ten or so open items ready for closure in the Sage repository? If not, perhaps I'll bug Harald about it.

This may of course seem trivial to people, but if Sage is planning to move to GitHub in the future then then it makes sense to begin addressing GitHub maintenance more actively.

Robert Bradshaw

unread,
Jul 20, 2016, 1:09:11 AM7/20/16
to sage-devel
I was running a small script on trac.sagemath.org:12000 that was
listening for github pull requests and comments (via github webhooks)
and publishing them to trac (via the trac scripts shipped with Sage).
Nothing too fancy, but I can't find the code for it at the moment (but
it's probably still sitting in that image unless it's been redone
since then). I don't remember if I ever pushed anything back to github
(which would require write access) but pull requests should get closed
when their associated changes get merged into master.

William Stein

unread,
Jul 20, 2016, 3:27:16 PM7/20/16
to sage-devel
On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Robert Bradshaw
<robe...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
> I was running a small script on trac.sagemath.org:12000 that was
> listening for github pull requests and comments (via github webhooks)
> and publishing them to trac (via the trac scripts shipped with Sage).
> Nothing too fancy, but I can't find the code for it at the moment (but
> it's probably still sitting in that image unless it's been redone
> since then).

The image should be sitting somewhere in a machine at UW.... I may
look tomorrow.
--
William (http://wstein.org)
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages