add section on deprecation to developer's guide?

Dan Drake

Mar 15, 2010, 10:28:08 PM3/15/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Today I wanted to put the proper deprecation stuff into a function which
should be deprecated, and I had to grep through source code to find the
proper way to do it. Perhaps there should be a section in the
developer's guide briefly describing the correct way to do this, and how
to change doctests appropriately?

Dan

--
--- Dan Drake
----- http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake

signature.asc
Message has been deleted

Dan Drake

Mar 15, 2010, 11:43:16 PM3/15/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 at 01:32PM +1100, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> Sounds good to me. Could you open a ticket and share your tips on
> proper ways to deprecate a function?

That ticket contains what I know, which is not necessarily the
"official" correct way! Anyone who knows more about how this should be
done should comment on the ticket.

signature.asc

Florent Hivert

Mar 16, 2010, 3:14:51 AM3/16/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:43:16PM +0900, Dan Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 at 01:32PM +1100, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> > Sounds good to me. Could you open a ticket and share your tips on
> > proper ways to deprecate a function?
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8546
>
> That ticket contains what I know, which is not necessarily the
> "official" correct way! Anyone who knows more about how this should be
> done should comment on the ticket.

Please see
- #7515 Improved deprecation and renaming of function and methods
And the followup:
- #7559 replace all the deprecation warning using
deprecated_function_alias whenever possible
- #8073 deprecation version number should say "After version ..."

Florent