Re: Happy Ada Lovelace Day

Message has been deleted

Jason Grout

Mar 25, 2010, 11:58:15 AM3/25/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 03/25/2010 03:15 AM, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I apologize for this belated celebration note.
>
> March 24th of each year is observed as Ada Lovelace Day [1]. It is an
> international celebration of the achievements of women in science and
> technology. The daughter of the English poet Lord Byron, Ada Lovelace
> is recognized as the first computer programmer due to her work on
> Charles Babbage�s analytical engine. Sage contributor Christoper Olah
> has written a blog post [2] celebrating the women who have enriched
> his creative, social, and technical experiences. I would like to take
> this opportunity to acknowledge women who contribute in wide-ranging
> capacities to the Sage project. So without further ado, here they are.

It would be really cool to see a link to this on sagemath.org, sort of
like Google shows an image commemorating a day. Thanks for gathering
this info!

Jason

Nicolas M. Thiery

Mar 27, 2010, 6:05:09 AM3/27/10
to sage-comb...@googlegroups.com, sage-devel
Dear Minh,

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 07:15:16PM +1100, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> March 24th of each year is observed as Ada Lovelace Day [1]. It is an
> international celebration of the achievements of women in science and
> technology. The daughter of the English poet Lord Byron, Ada Lovelace
> is recognized as the first computer programmer due to her work on

> Charles Babbage’s analytical engine. Sage contributor Christoper Olah

> has written a blog post [2] celebrating the women who have enriched
> his creative, social, and technical experiences. I would like to take
> this opportunity to acknowledge women who contribute in wide-ranging
> capacities to the Sage project. So without further ado, here they are.

Wow, Minh, another impressive and useful contribution to the Sage
community of yours! I very much hope your document will encourage
other women to contribute their great skills and achievements to Sage!

I noticed that Teresa does not appear in the list, and ashamedly take
the blame for it: she was not listed in the #5891 author list (fixed
now)! May I suggest adding the following to your list?

* Teresa Gomez-Diaz - Former Axiom and MuPAD-Combinat developer, she
initialized Sage's category hierarchy from those of MuPAD and
Axiom. As member of the Plume project, she actively participates to
the advertisement of Sage and Sage-Combinat on their web site:

http://www.projet-plume.org/fr/fiche/sage-combinat

Cheers,
Nicolas
--
Nicolas M. Thiéry "Isil" <nth...@users.sf.net>
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/

Message has been deleted

John Cremona

Mar 30, 2010, 3:13:26 PM3/30/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, Jenny Cooley
That's a good idea, thanks! I suggest changing the wording

* Jenny Cooley — Through her Summer scholarship at the University of
Warwick, Jenny contributed new code to Sage’s elliptic curves module.
In particular, she implemented elliptic curve isogenies and summarized
her work in a poster session during October 2009.

* Jenny Cooley — Through her Summer scholarship at the University of
Warwick, Jenny contributed new code to Sage’s elliptic curves module.
In particular, she implemented elliptic curve isogenies of low degree,
and complete isogeny classes for elliptic curves over Q. She
summarized
her work in a poster session during October 2009.

[The original isogeny implementation was by Dan Shumow. Jenny's work
added to that in significant ways.]

John

On 25 March 2010 08:15, Minh Nguyen <nguye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> * Alyson Deines — Unfortunately, I have no record of Alyson’s
> contribution to Sage. The only record I could find is ticket #5380,
> which mentions that Alyson has contributed to Sage. However, the
> ticket does not specify in any way what Alyson’s contributions are. I
> would be glad if someone could point out her contributions.
>
> * Amy Glen — Amy has contributed to the combinatorics module of Sage
> through her work on SageWords.
>
> * Anne Schilling — Anne is an active member of the Sage-Combinat team.
> She has contributed substantial code to the combinat codebase,
> especially through her work on crystals.
>
> * Emily Kirkman — Emily has contributed substantial code and
> documentation to the graph theory module. Whenever you visualize a
> graph using Sage, you have Emily to thank for the visually appealing
> layout of graph theoretic structures.
>
> * Jennifer Balakrishnan — Jennifer’s contribution include a LaTeX mode
> for the Magma interface. Her work on the number theory module includes
> new code on computation of p-adic heights and Coleman integration.
>
> * Jenny Cooley — Through her Summer scholarship at the University of
> Warwick, Jenny contributed new code to Sage’s elliptic curves module.
> In particular, she implemented elliptic curve isogenies and summarized
> her work in a poster session during October 2009.
>
> * Joanna Gaski — During her time as an undergraduate at the University
> of Washington, Joanna contributed new code to the combinatorics
> module. Her work allows Sage to interface with the online Sloane
> database of integer sequences to query the Sloane sequence A000008.
>
> * Kate Minola — Kate has provided substantial feedback and suggestions
> on Sage’s early build and automated testing systems. Many of her bug
> reports and constructive feedback played the critical role of making
> Sage’s build system portable across the Unix family of operating
> systems.
>
> * Maite Aranes — Maite has contributed substantial new code to the
> modular forms and number theory modules of Sage. Her wide-ranging
> contributions include bug reports on these modules as well as new code
> for cusps over number fields, Manin symbols over number fields,
> enhancing the reduction modulo ideals of number fields, and many
> utility functions relating to number fields.
>
> * Mariah Lenox — Mariah is known within the Sage community as the
> person who administers the Skynet network of computers. It is the
> timely access to these machines for automated building and testing
> that have played a critical role in the stability of Sage and its
> portability across the Unix family of operating systems. Mariah has
> also provided constructive feedback on Sage’s documentation.
>
> I hope I have not left anyone out. Feel free to add any contributions
> I have left out. The above originally appeared on my blog [3]. I
> thought I should post it here so that people within the Sage community

Message has been deleted

Alex Ghitza

Apr 9, 2010, 10:38:28 PM4/9/10
to Minh Nguyen, sage-devel

Hi Minh,

I have a few additions to your list.

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:15:16 +1100, Minh Nguyen <nguye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to take
> this opportunity to acknowledge women who contribute in wide-ranging
> capacities to the Sage project. So without further ado, here they are.
>
> * Alyson Deines — Unfortunately, I have no record of Alyson’s
> contribution to Sage. The only record I could find is ticket #5380,
> which mentions that Alyson has contributed to Sage. However, the
> ticket does not specify in any way what Alyson’s contributions are. I
> would be glad if someone could point out her contributions.

Alyson was at Sage Days 20.25 in Montreal a couple of weeks ago, working
on computing Hilbert modular forms and various lower-level
prerequisites.

Two more contributors:

* Gabriele Nebe contributed to the quadratic forms code, especially to
the computation of genera

* Charlotte (Charlie) Turner made several contributions to the algebraic
geometry code

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- http://aghitza.org/
Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne -- Australia

Message has been deleted

John Cremona

Apr 14, 2010, 3:26:00 PM4/14/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for adding my student Charlie. Is there a link to this from
www.sagenb.org?

John

On 14 April 2010 01:15, Minh Nguyen <nguye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Alex Ghitza <agh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> Two more contributors:
>
> Thank you for this, Alex. The list has been updated with your suggestions.

> --
> Regards
> Minh Van Nguyen
>
> --