Compilation failed due to linbox

Dimitri Lesnoff

Dec 18, 2021, 8:21:54 AM12/18/21
to sage-devel
First, I am sorry for the duplicate with ask.sagemath.org but I feel this website is better and easier to share a log (and it was indicated to post here in the log !).

I tried to recompile Sage on my Archlinux Virtual Machine, after a system upgrade (pikaur -Syu) upgraded my Python from 3.9.8 (or 3.9.7 I do not remember) to 3.10.1 .

I tried many attempts, by removing the directory, recompile with a `make distclean && make`, by compiling the SageMath stable version (master branch) as well as the (develop branch).

The last thing I tried was, as instructed on github page https://github.com/sagemath/sage/ :
git clone -c core.symlinks=true https://github.com/sagemath/sage.git
cd sage && git checkout develop
./configure
make

After 1/2 hour, the compilation fails with an error related to the build process of one SPKGs linbox:
I made a pastebin of the log https://pastebin.com/gbDk2m2u, and I attached the log
I tried to install system wide linbox package with my package manager (pacman).
The pacman version is greater than the one Sagemath tries to build (1.7 rather than 1.6).
The ./configure did not change the compilation (it did not detect the linbox package).

What can I do ? Any answer is appreciated
linbox-1.6.3.p1.log

Matthias Koeppe

Dec 18, 2021, 12:32:05 PM12/18/21
to sage-devel
Post config.log please

Matthias Koeppe

Dec 18, 2021, 12:43:50 PM12/18/21
to sage-devel
Try if "./configure --without-system-givaro" fixes this problem for you.

This is likely the issue described in https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/33042

Dimitri Lesnoff

Dec 19, 2021, 9:10:27 AM12/19/21
to sage-devel
Thank you for your answer, this was indeed the issue. I'll share my config.log next time I have a build issue. Thanks again.