Sage on Windows

Jan Groenewald

Dec 16, 2020, 4:22:56 AM12/16/20
to sage-devel
Hi

I have a student who is in another country, with Windows 10, whom I sent this link to install sage:

She has these errors on any computation:

saegmath-jupyter.jpeg
Google translate says:
Kernel being restarted
The kernel seems to crash It will restart automatically

and the terminal screenshot:
windows-kernel.jpeg
I can probably get teamviewer access to investigate further but I am not familiar with windows or sage on windows.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Jan

--
  .~.
  /V\     Jan Groenewald

Dima Pasechnik

Dec 16, 2020, 4:26:40 AM12/16/20
to sage-devel
it looks as if the hardware does not understand a command.
Ask them about the CPU type of the machine.

Jan Groenewald

Dec 16, 2020, 6:36:45 AM12/16/20
to sage-devel
Hi

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 11:26, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
it looks as if the hardware does not understand a command.
Ask them about the CPU type of the machine.

Intel Celeron N3060 1.6GHZ
4GB RAM
64bit Windows 10 version 1803

Regards,
Jan

Dima Pasechnik

Dec 16, 2020, 6:59:14 AM12/16/20
to sage-devel
On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 11:36 AM Jan Groenewald <j...@aims.ac.za> wrote:
Hi

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 11:26, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
it looks as if the hardware does not understand a command.
Ask them about the CPU type of the machine.

Intel Celeron N3060 1.6GHZ

that's one of these low-end CPUs from 2016 that are reported to have this kind of issue.
Can you ask them to download and run coreinfo utility from

without parameters - and post the output here.

E.g. one possibility is that popcnt instruction is not supported.

Malala Rakotondrasoa

Dec 16, 2020, 8:07:10 AM12/16/20
to sage-devel
Hi! This is the output after I run coreinfo
Coreinfo.txt

Dima Pasechnik

Dec 16, 2020, 9:30:35 AM12/16/20
to sage-devel
Jan mentioned Celeron N3060, but this is Xeon W3520, a rather different CPU.

Jan Groenewald

Dec 16, 2020, 11:24:02 AM12/16/20
to sage-devel
Correct output will follow when she figures out how to run coreinfo -- it just opens a terminal and closes quickly.
That is not the right output.

Matthias Koeppe

Dec 16, 2020, 2:28:58 PM12/16/20
to sage-devel
This looks like https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29537
"cygwin-standard: build not portable despite using SAGE_FAT_BINARY=yes, NTL-related"

E. Madison Bray

Mar 10, 2021, 11:19:22 AM3/10/21
to sage-devel
With apologies for replying to such an old message, I should just note that I fixed this in the most recent Sage Windows release: https://github.com/sagemath/sage-windows/releases/tag/0.6.2-9.2