Method 'latex.mathjax_avoid_list()' missing in the official docker image

Lucca Jimenez-Könings

Nov 15, 2022, 6:28:38 AM11/15/22
to sage-devel
When using the official docker image, from within a Notebook the
methods
  • `latex.add_to_mathjax_avoid_list()`
  • `latex.mathjax_avoid_list`
are missing on the `latex` object.

These should exist, according to the docs: https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/tutorial/latex.html#customizing-latex-processing

This prevents using renderers other than MathJax to render more complicated LaTeX output, such ones that involve TikZ pictures.

If the method was changed or support for custom latex processing was removed, I'd urge to update the docs. There is no mention of additional package imports or configuration being needed to use these methods.

I will also attach the project im currently working on:
https://github.com/jimkoen/sagemath-thesis-template/settings

I use a slightly modified docker image, the modifications of which you can see in the repo.

While I can't say for certain, I highly doubt that these have removed these methods.

Eric Gourgoulhon

Nov 15, 2022, 5:26:31 PM11/15/22
to sage-devel
The methods latex.add_to_mathjax_avoid_list and latex.mathjax_avoid_list have been removed in Sage 9.3. So your docker image must be based on an old version of Sage (current stable version is 9.7).
This module focuses on using LaTeX for printing. For the use of LaTeX for rendering math in HTML by MathJax, see MathJax defined in sage.misc.html.
Maybe this can help you.
Best wishes,

Eric.

PS: yes the tutorial must be updated...

Eric Gourgoulhon

Nov 15, 2022, 5:38:01 PM11/15/22
to sage-devel
Le mardi 15 novembre 2022 à 23:26:31 UTC+1, Eric Gourgoulhon a écrit :

The methods latex.add_to_mathjax_avoid_list and latex.mathjax_avoid_list have been removed in Sage 9.3. So your docker image must be based on an old version of Sage (current stable version is 9.7).

Sorry I read your message too fast: these methods missing means that your docker image has a version of  Sage more recent than 9.2...

Kwankyu Lee

Nov 16, 2022, 1:28:56 AM11/16/22
to sage-devel
On Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 8:28:38 PM UTC+9 lucca....@gmail.com wrote:
When using the official docker image, from within a Notebook the
methods
  • `latex.add_to_mathjax_avoid_list()`
  • `latex.mathjax_avoid_list`
are missing on the `latex` object.

These commands are for old sage notebook interface. They were removed.