Polling for sphinx background style

Kwankyu Lee

Aug 4, 2022, 11:25:36 PM8/4/22
to sage-devel
Hi,

According to the recent decision,  I applied sphinx style to our future doc in Furo theme.

But it seem that a bit of tuning to the background style of code blocks would make doc look better. So I prepared another set of candidates for the background style.

And once again, I request for your wisdom. Please vote.

Matthias Koeppe

Aug 4, 2022, 11:42:35 PM8/4/22
to sage-devel
I didn't see a difference until I realized I need to switch to light mode

Matthias Koeppe

Aug 4, 2022, 11:45:06 PM8/4/22
to sage-devel
grayish >> detoned > original

David Roe

Aug 5, 2022, 12:30:28 AM8/5/22
to sage-devel
Same: grayish > detoned > original.
David

Kwankyu Lee

Aug 5, 2022, 2:11:05 AM8/5/22
to sage-devel
On Friday, August 5, 2022 at 12:42:35 PM UTC+9 Matthias Koeppe wrote:
I didn't see a difference until I realized I need to switch to light mode

It seems that a cookie is used to store the mode. It remembers the last mode I chose.

Kwankyu Lee

Aug 5, 2022, 2:18:08 AM8/5/22
to sage-devel
On Friday, August 5, 2022 at 12:42:35 PM UTC+9 Matthias Koeppe wrote:
I didn't see a difference until I realized I need to switch to light mode

If you look closely, there is a difference also in dark mode.

sver...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2022, 2:51:46 AM8/5/22
to sage-devel
grayish (3)

The green in (1) is quite an eyesore, I think.

dmo...@deductivepress.ca

Aug 5, 2022, 3:35:11 AM8/5/22
to sage-devel
grayish > detoned >> original

Eric Gourgoulhon

Aug 5, 2022, 5:06:13 AM8/5/22
to sage-devel
grayish > detoned > original.

Eric.

John Cremona

Aug 5, 2022, 6:56:59 AM8/5/22
to SAGE devel
On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 10:06, Eric Gourgoulhon <egourg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> grayish > detoned > original.

I have no strong opinion on this choice!

John

> Eric.

Nathan Dunfield

Aug 5, 2022, 10:01:40 AM8/5/22
to sage-devel
detoned > grayish >> original

In grayish, the color for large code blocks is nearly the same as that for inline code (which is also used for methods), so some visual information is lost compared to detoned.

Kwankyu Lee

Aug 6, 2022, 5:14:54 AM8/6/22
to sage-devel
Up to now, the voting counts

(1) grayish: 5
(2) detoned: 1
(3) no opinion: 1

So I conclude that grayish is the winner.

Let me close the voting. Once again, I thank you who participated.

The new doc will be prepared according to the result.

Travis Scrimshaw

Aug 7, 2022, 2:57:52 AM8/7/22
to sage-devel
I slightly protest that one day of voting at the end of the week is not a lot of time for such a consequential vote.

That being said, I support grayish (but I also noticed there is so little difference on dark mode).

Best,
Travis

Kwankyu Lee

Aug 7, 2022, 4:54:39 AM8/7/22
to sage-devel
On Sunday, August 7, 2022 at 3:57:52 PM UTC+9 Travis Scrimshaw wrote:
I slightly protest that one day of voting at the end of the week is not a lot of time for such a consequential vote.

I agree. Sorry about that.

That being said, I support grayish (but I also noticed there is so little difference on dark mode).

I also support grayish. So two more unrealized votes to grayish :)