Online Sage Cell Canvas

Jason Grout

Jun 9, 2012, 12:28:34 PM6/9/12
to sage-devel, sage-notebook
Over the last day or two, I drew up a (very, very rough)
proof-of-concept of an easy way to author webpages with Sage code and
explanations. I've put up my attempts here:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/jason/cellcanvas/

At this point, I'm hoping that some javascript/CSS wizard will take over
and make it really nice :). The code is here:

https://github.com/jasongrout/sagecell/tree/cellcanvas/contrib/cellcanvas

Thanks,

Jason

John Cremona

Jun 9, 2012, 1:30:46 PM6/9/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
That's pretty amazing.

I put in a \mathbb{Q} into a text box but after freezing the page it
turned into a plain Q. And I created a box by mistake and could not
get rid of it -- is there a way?

This is with chrome on ubuntu 12.04. I don't know how to save the
frozen page (which is not exactly frozen, it would let me go on
editing cells!

John

Jason Grout

Jun 9, 2012, 3:36:16 PM6/9/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 6/9/12 12:30 PM, John Cremona wrote:
> That's pretty amazing.
>
> I put in a \mathbb{Q} into a text box but after freezing the page it
> turned into a plain Q.

It seems to be a much harder problem to get MathJax to work on pages
that are generated totally in the browser. It's possible that we might
have to have something from the server involved here.

> And I created a box by mistake and could not
> get rid of it -- is there a way?

No (not yet).

> This is with chrome on ubuntu 12.04. I don't know how to save the
> frozen page (which is not exactly frozen, it would let me go on
> editing cells!

Cells can still be edited, but if you refresh the page, it will go back
to the way it was. It's frozen in the sense that you can't add more
cells or move around cells, and you can't edit the text cells.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grout

Jun 10, 2012, 12:13:21 AM6/10/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 6/9/12 12:30 PM, John Cremona wrote:
> I put in a \mathbb{Q} into a text box but after freezing the page it
> turned into a plain Q.

Davide Cervone gave me a tip which got MathJax in the frozen page
working now...

Thanks,

Jason

Keshav Kini

Jun 10, 2012, 1:32:07 AM6/10/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, sage-n...@googlegroups.com
Jason Grout <jason...@creativetrax.com> writes:
> Over the last day or two, I drew up a (very, very rough)
> proof-of-concept of an easy way to author webpages with Sage code and
> explanations. I've put up my attempts here:
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/jason/cellcanvas/

This is cool! I am wondering, though - why do you use Markdown and not
reStructuredText for text boxes? Besides being the markup language in
which we write Sage docstrings, rst is a standard in the Python world in
general too...

-Keshav

----
Join us in #sagemath on irc.freenode.net !