Make ipympl a standard package

Eric Gourgoulhon

Sep 17, 2023, 11:14:09 AM9/17/23
to sage-devel
Hi Sage dev,

In PR #36129, which is devoted to the upgrade to Jupyter Notebook 7, we are proposing to make ipympl a standard package.
ipympl is a pip-installable package that enables using the interactive features of Matplotlib in Jupyter Notebook and Jupyterlab, via the magic %matplotlib widget or %matplotlib ipympl, cf. https://matplotlib.org/ipympl/
Here is an example of use in Sage:
With this package, matplotlib.pyplot (the standard "plt") becomes interactive (e.g. one can zoom  and scroll with the mouse), which is quite nice.

Please give your opinion about making ipympl a standard package.

Eric.

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 17, 2023, 1:17:33 PM9/17/23
to sage-devel
yes, +1

Dima

Eric.

sage-devel

Sep 19, 2023, 1:04:58 PM9/19/23
to sage-devel
+1, it's a useful tiny package and unproblematic to install.

G. M.-S.

Sep 19, 2023, 1:46:41 PM9/19/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

+1

Guillermo

Kwankyu Lee

Sep 19, 2023, 2:56:51 PM9/19/23
to sage-devel
Hi Eric,

I see no interaction in the "test_display" notebook rendered by nbviewer. If you provide the latest version of the notebook, I can put it into the notebooks directory

Eric Gourgoulhon

Sep 19, 2023, 3:06:42 PM9/19/23
to sage-devel
Hi Kwankyu,

Le mardi 19 septembre 2023 à 20:56:51 UTC+2, Kwankyu Lee a écrit :
Hi Eric,

I see no interaction in the "test_display" notebook rendered by nbviewer.

This is a limitation of nbviewer.

If you provide the latest version of the notebook, I can put it into the notebooks directory

The notebook is here:
(you can see it by clicking on the Github icon in the nbviewer top right menu).

Best wishes,

Eric.

Eric Gourgoulhon

Sep 19, 2023, 4:02:35 PM9/19/23
to sage-devel
PS: I've just updated the notebook for checking that long math expressions are wrapped.