VOTE: code of conduct - ends Monday at midnight, PST.

William Stein

Nov 22, 2014, 7:48:16 PM11/22/14
to sage-devel
Hello Sage Developers,

This is a simple majority vote for the original proposed code of
conduct. I will close voting on Monday at midnight PST. (If the vote
is an exact tie, then that means "No" - there must be a simple
majority for this to pass.) Any member of the sage-devel mailing
list may vote or abstain. I will delete any messages in this thread
that is not a vote -- if you want to make further arguments for or
against, do so elsewhere.

[ ] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)

[ ] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

Thanks! Note, I am not going to vote either way, but I will strongly
support whatever the community decides.

Code of Conduct
---------------

The Sage community is comprised of an international mixture of
mathematicians, computer scientists, engineers, researchers, teachers,
amateurs, and others with varied backgrounds. This diversity is one of
our strengths, but it can also lead to communication problems and
unhappiness. People who love working on Sage can more effectively
collaborate with others if they follow this code.

If you believe someone is violating the code of conduct, we ask that
you report it by emailing sage-...@googlegroups.com. The group
administrators will consider the issue and explore resolutions. [See
note below.] It is also possible to move heated discussions to the
mailing list sage-...@googlegroups.com.

1) Be friendly and patient.

2) Be welcoming. We strive to be a community that welcomes and
supports people of all backgrounds and identities.

3) Be considerate. Your work will be used by other people and you in
turn will depend on the work of others. Any decision you take will
affect users and developers, so you should take those consequences
into account when making decisions. Conversely, Sage is constantly
evolving, and earlier decisions that were made in good faith may
sometimes need to be reconsidered. Nonetheless, we should still
appreciate the hard work done in the past.

4) Be respectful and polite. Not all of us will agree all the time,
but disagreement is no excuse for poor behavior and poor manners. We
might all experience some frustration now and then, but we cannot
allow that frustration to morph into personal attacks. It is important
to remember that a community where people feel uncomfortable or
threatened is not a productive one. Members of the Sage community
should be respectful when dealing with other developers and users.

When we disagree, we should try to understand why. Disagreements, both
social and technical, happen all the time. It is important that we
resolve disagreements and differing views constructively. Being unable
to understand why someone holds a viewpoint does not mean that they
are wrong. Do not forget that it is human to err. Blame alone gets us
nowhere, it is better to help resolve issues so we can all learn from
our mistakes.

---

NOTE: There were questions on the list about who exactly would deal
with sage-abuse complaints and how. If you do not trust that we Sage
developers can responsibly select people to be on that list, and that
those members can find ways to sort out issues on a case-by-case
basis, then you may vote "no" to this proposal. We are mostly not
lawyers or politicians and are not going to make things more precise
in this code regarding composition of the group or specific sanctions.

Andrey Novoseltsev

Nov 22, 2014, 8:05:25 PM11/22/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[X] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

Simon King

Nov 22, 2014, 8:27:34 PM11/22/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

[X] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

Michael Orlitzky

Nov 22, 2014, 8:49:01 PM11/22/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[X] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

Grammar mismatch, line 1:

> The Sage community is comprised of

^

One of "comprises", "is composed of", or "consists of" would be better.
(This was not the only factor affecting my vote.)

kcrisman

Nov 22, 2014, 8:55:55 PM11/22/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
(This was not the only factor affecting my vote.)

Just to make it clear, I think we should assume William is intending for any "friendly amendments" due to incorrect grammar or spelling (or even not pointing out what the abbreviation PST means to those around the globe) to be taken up without affecting the vote :-)

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd)

Nov 22, 2014, 9:03:01 PM11/22/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

[x] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

David Kirkby

Francois Bissey

Nov 22, 2014, 9:17:29 PM11/22/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

> On 23/11/2014, at 13:47, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [ ] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)
>
> [X] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

François

Vincent Delecroix

Nov 23, 2014, 12:03:49 AM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[X] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

Vincent

Travis Scrimshaw

Nov 23, 2014, 12:32:47 AM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[X] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated [above] (*)

Travis

Ralf Stephan

Nov 23, 2014, 3:05:59 AM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[X] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

Regards,

John Cremona

Nov 23, 2014, 5:24:47 AM11/23/14
to SAGE devel

> [X ] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)

Martin Raum

Nov 23, 2014, 5:52:41 AM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[X] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below

Hartmut Monien

Nov 23, 2014, 6:09:46 AM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[X ] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)

Viviane Pons

Nov 23, 2014, 6:23:54 AM11/23/14
to Sage devel

[X] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)

Andrew

Nov 23, 2014, 7:08:26 AM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[X ] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)

Julien Puydt

Nov 23, 2014, 8:44:36 AM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

[X] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

I don't think that's really necessary. The usual netiquette covers
everything already!

Snark on #sagemath

Nathann Cohen

Nov 23, 2014, 9:38:06 AM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[X] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

Nathann

grégory châtel

John Foster

Nov 23, 2014, 10:38:56 AM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

--
JOhn Foster
SAGE USER

Christopher Swenson

Nov 23, 2014, 11:05:29 AM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[X] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)

Georg S. Weber

Nov 23, 2014, 11:59:00 AM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[ X] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct

Luca De Feo

Nov 23, 2014, 1:13:26 PM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

[X ] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)

Luca

Ben Salisbury

Nov 23, 2014, 2:30:51 PM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

[X] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)

[ ] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

~Ben

Anne Schilling

Nov 23, 2014, 2:34:23 PM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[X ] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)

Robert Dodier

Nov 23, 2014, 8:30:06 PM11/23/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2014-11-23, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [X] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

best

Robert Dodier

Bruno Grenet

Nov 24, 2014, 2:04:32 AM11/24/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[X] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

Bruno

mmarco

Nov 24, 2014, 4:48:51 AM11/24/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

chris wuthrich

Nov 24, 2014, 5:23:21 AM11/24/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

[X ] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below

Mike Zabrocki

Nov 24, 2014, 9:09:43 AM11/24/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Franco Saliola

Nov 24, 2014, 10:23:18 AM11/24/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

[X] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)

Vincent Knight

Nov 24, 2014, 4:18:37 PM11/24/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[X] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)

Thanks,
Vince

Ursula Whitcher

Nov 24, 2014, 5:20:53 PM11/24/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[x ] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)

UAW

Don Winsor

john_perry_usm

Nov 24, 2014, 7:29:57 PM11/24/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[ X ] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

Thierry

Nov 24, 2014, 9:22:03 PM11/24/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
NO !

I can not participate to this, this call for vote is both paternalistic
and violent.

Since i can not explain why here, please read more details at:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/sage-devel/PjU2YQn3ca4

Ciao,
Thierry

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 04:47:33PM -0800, William Stein wrote:
> Hello Sage Developers,
>
> This is a simple majority vote for the original proposed code of
> conduct. I will close voting on Monday at midnight PST. (If the vote
> is an exact tie, then that means "No" - there must be a simple
> majority for this to pass.) Any member of the sage-devel mailing
> list may vote or abstain. I will delete any messages in this thread
> that is not a vote -- if you want to make further arguments for or
> against, do so elsewhere.
>
> [ ] Yes -- adopt the code of conduct stated below (*)
>
> [ ] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

Robert Bradshaw

Nov 25, 2014, 2:56:51 AM11/25/14
to sage-devel
[ X ] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

I also share some of the sentiments of Thierry.

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM, john_perry_usm <john....@usm.edu> wrote:
> [ X ] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

Samuel Lelievre

Nov 25, 2014, 7:39:30 AM11/25/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
[x ] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

Dima Pasechnik

Nov 25, 2014, 9:15:53 AM11/25/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2014-11-23, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Sage Developers,
>
> This is a simple majority vote for the original proposed code of
> conduct. I will close voting on Monday at midnight PST. (If the vote
> is an exact tie, then that means "No" - there must be a simple
> majority for this to pass.) Any member of the sage-devel mailing
> list may vote or abstain. I will delete any messages in this thread
> that is not a vote -- if you want to make further arguments for or
> against, do so elsewhere.

[X] No -- do not adopt the code of conduct stated below

Dima

William Stein

Nov 25, 2014, 10:33:59 AM11/25/14
to sage-devel
Hi,

I just counted and I get:

[x] Yes -- got 19 votes
[x] No -- got 15 votes + 2 late votes

Can somebody count and confirm this?

-- William
> --

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington
http://wstein.org

Viviane Pons

Nov 25, 2014, 10:49:45 AM11/25/14
to Sage devel
I counted the same.

Cheers,

Viviane

William Stein

Nov 25, 2014, 10:58:48 AM11/25/14
to sage-devel
On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 7:49 AM, Viviane Pons <vivia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I counted the same.

Thank you.

This means that the code of conduct passes, and the SageMath project
now has an official code of conduct. If you voted the other way,
please respect that this is what the majority of people who voted
want, even if the code isn't perfect.

This vote was extremely close. I kept the voting simple and
consistent with how we've done all past votes, rather than using a
more complicated voting system, since I didn't want to make even the
voting process itself contentious. For those who feel the stated code
should be rewritten/modified/rethought, etc., I encourage you to work
on this. If there is a new proposal, we can certainly vote on it
later.

-- William

Nathann Cohen

Nov 25, 2014, 11:02:25 AM11/25/14
to Sage devel
> This means that the code of conduct passes, and the SageMath project
> now has an official code of conduct. If you voted the other way,
> please respect that this is what the majority of people who voted
> want, even if the code isn't perfect.

Perhaps it is now time to share with us who took the initiative of
writing such a code and who participated to its writing ?

You know.... All Sage files need a "copyright" header with a data and
email, so even if this does not appear on our git server....

Nathann