Procedure to be a member of sage github organization

Kwankyu Lee

Feb 22, 2023, 11:33:34 PM2/22/23
to sage-devel
Hi,

We are getting PRs from non-member contributors.

What is the procedure or the condition to be invited for membership?

David Roe

Feb 23, 2023, 2:37:07 AM2/23/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
As a first proposal: once you have a PR accepted then you're added to the sagemath organization.  I'm not sure exactly what the cutoff should be for being added to triage (which gives the capability of changing labels, closing and assigning issues and PRs, requesting PR reviews, applying milestones and marking as duplicate.  I'm fine with giving these permissions to people after their first PR is merged, but some might argue for more of a history with contributors.

Julian and I had talked about writing a bot to handle these permissions, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
David

Trevor Karn

Feb 24, 2023, 9:43:37 PM2/24/23
to sage-devel
How do new developers tag their PR as "needs review" without having triage access?

Edgar Costa

Feb 25, 2023, 2:38:26 PM2/25/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Most likely not the status quo at the moment, but if a PR is not ready to be reviewed should be marked as a draft, which the author can do without any special permissions.
Otherwise, I would assume the PR is ready to be reviewed.

Vincent Delecroix

Feb 25, 2023, 2:48:08 PM2/25/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I think that the needs_review positive_review tags do not fit well in
the github workflow. These have been kept to mimic the trac workflow
but are annoying. I support Edgar suggestion that the "needs review
tag" should be replaced by "not a draft" status. Similarly, the
"positive review tag" would better be replaced by something like
"approved by a developer".
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CA%2BiQ7x7fGhOaaHwy3DEyfC%3DomQYV1c8JWCkanEcCRUdo7bFCHw%40mail.gmail.com.

Matthias Koeppe

Feb 25, 2023, 3:20:35 PM2/25/23
to sage-devel
Re the "needs review" tag, see earlier discussion in https://github.com/sagemath/trac-to-github/issues/8#issuecomment-1367744734

Trevor Karn

Feb 25, 2023, 4:06:04 PM2/25/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Ok so my takeaway is that for now at least we treat all PRs that are untagged as needs review. Is there a way to set as a default or get a bot to automatically apply just the needs review label to any new PR?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "sage-devel" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/e6773a76-9236-45b6-97da-b15fe6af1860n%40googlegroups.com.
--
Best,

Trevor

Dima Pasechnik

Feb 25, 2023, 4:15:01 PM2/25/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Feb 25, 2023 at 9:06 PM Trevor Karn <trevor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok so my takeaway is that for now at least we treat all PRs that are untagged as needs review. Is there a way to set as a default or get a bot to automatically apply just the needs review label to any new PR?

Any - that is not marked as draft.

There should be a way via GitHub Actions - if not, it is doable by a custom bot.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAJ6VCMA%3DbHame4D3hoJEB2T9fx%2BT-DvWoRqf2rD_39hvW66NRg%40mail.gmail.com.

Matthias Koeppe

Feb 25, 2023, 4:27:47 PM2/25/23
to sage-devel