Virtual SageDays June 1–3: Call for contributed presentations and activities

Matthias Koeppe

May 8, 2022, 1:23:05 AM5/8/22
to sage-devel
We organize Global Virtual Sage Days 112.358 (https://wiki.sagemath.org/days112.358), an event for the SageMath user and developer community. The fully virtual event will take place June 1–3, 2022, during the 50 hours when it is June 2, 2022 in some timezone in the world.
A number of speakers and activity organizers have already committed to the event.
We are looking for more presentations, in particular tutorials and talks accessible to the general Sage user community, as well as onboarding activities for new developers and coding sprints. Also co-organizers who will help with the activities in other timezones are needed. Let us know if you're interested!

Matthias Köppe and JP Labbé
organizers

William Stein

May 8, 2022, 3:03:46 PM5/8/22
to sage-devel, Blaec Bejarano
Somebody (me and/or Blaec) can do a demo/tutorial like this:

TITLE: Ways to Use Sage in CoCalc

ABSTRACT: Show several ways to use Sage in CoCalc with a very simple
example of each (e.g., factoring 2022 or drawing a plot):

- in a LaTeX document via sagetex
- in a Jupyter notebook with the Sage kernel
- command line terminal where you type "sage"
- in a Sage worksheet
- in a whiteboard with Sage kernel
- create a .sage file then run it via one of the above.
- publishing any of the above.

Constraint: Not on Nov 3, and during daytime (6AM PST - 6PM PST) on
the US West Coast.
> --

William (http://wstein.org)

Matthias Koeppe

May 8, 2022, 3:26:05 PM5/8/22
to sage-devel
Great! I've added you in https://wiki.sagemath.org/days112.358
We'll figure out scheduling a bit closer to the event

Matthias Koeppe

May 20, 2022, 4:42:00 PM5/20/22
to sage-devel
Hi William, Blaec,
Would Wednesday June 1 at 8am Pacific (or another time in the morning) work for you?
I would suggest a 45 minute slot, but let me know if you have another preference.
Thanks
Matthias

William Stein

May 20, 2022, 5:06:06 PM5/20/22
to sage-devel
That works for me.

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 1:42 PM Matthias Koeppe

--
William (http://wstein.org)

Kwankyu Lee

May 21, 2022, 1:42:04 AM5/21/22
to sage-devel
Does everyone, except me, know why it is numbered 112.358?

I have no clue...

Matthias Koeppe

May 21, 2022, 3:07:26 AM5/21/22
to sage-devel
I needed a number between 112 and 113 to keep the chronological order with two events that were already posted.
Then I remembered that 112.358 was the rather dull number of a taxicab that I had ridden in Pisa.

davida...@gmail.com

May 21, 2022, 1:05:52 PM5/21/22
to sage-devel
I investigated on the rational number 112.358 = 56179/500, and it turns out that the numerator 56179 is a prime number and a happy number. So we could say that this will be a happy virtual sage days...

okay I'm out....

Justin C. Walker

Samuel Lelievre

May 22, 2022, 11:57:20 PM5/22/22