Return "type" of the `logarithmic_embedding` function

Jing Guo

Jul 27, 2022, 5:49:53 AM7/27/22
to sage-devel
Hi,

I am implementing the `logarithmic_embedding` function [0] (based on Krumm's code) for my GSoC project, which is used for implementing `points_of_bounded_height` function [1].

However, we encounter the following problem:

By definition (Def. 4.9.6, on page 208 of "A course in computational algebraic number theory"), the logarithmic embedding is a map from number field K to R^n. We are not sure how this function should return, and we consider two options:

1. The function returns a function closure, see examples in [2]

2. It returns a morphism, which is more mathematically correct:

V = VectorSpace(RR, 1)
K = CyclotomicField(3)
B = Hom(K, V, category=Sets())
phi = B(log_map)
phi

Which one do you think is better from math and software engineering perspectives? Are there any other approaches that would be better for this case?

Thank you.

Jing

John Cremona

Jul 27, 2022, 2:15:55 PM7/27/22
to SAGE devel
I forwarded this to sage-nt in case there are people there with an opinion. I'll give my answer there too.

Thanks for working on  this,

John