Proposal: Stop providing binary distributions

Matthias Koeppe

Jan 8, 2022, 2:10:15 PM1/8/22
to sage-devel
Comments/review please in https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/33131

Emmanuel Charpentier

Jan 8, 2022, 5:41:58 PM1/8/22
to sage-devel
Mixed feelings... See my comments on the ticket.

Murray Eisenberg

Jan 9, 2022, 3:46:15 PM1/9/22
to sage-devel

As strictly an end-user of Sage, and only on macOS, I find the prospect of not being able to download a binary (not even from https://github.com/3-manifolds/Sage_macOS/releases) repellent. And providing, only a Docker image instead, equally repellent. The probability is large that I would abandon Sage if binaries were not available.

William Stein

Jan 9, 2022, 4:02:27 PM1/9/22
to sage-devel
On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 12:46 PM Murray Eisenberg
<murraye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As strictly an end-user of Sage, and only on macOS, I find the prospect of not being able to download a binary (not even from https://github.com/3-manifolds/Sage_macOS/releases) repellent. And providing, only a Docker image instead, equally repellent. The probability is large that I would abandon Sage if binaries were not available.

I was also really disturbed when I saw the subject of this post. However,
upon closer inspection, I suspect that the subject "Proposal: Stop
providing binary distributions" of this
thread requires clarification. The actual proposal at the trac ticket is
"Installation manual: Remove mention of Sage-mirror-hosted binary
distributions", and to instead explicitly point to several (often
better) sources of binary distributions. For example,

https://github.com/3-manifolds/Sage_macOS/releases

is NOT a "sage-mirror-hosted binary distribution". I think what the
3-manifolds people
provide is exactly the sort of third party binary distribution of Sage
that Matthias is proposing
to *better* advertise, highlight and emphasize in the Sage docs.

Matthias, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you proposing that we just a
better job at pointing users to binary distributions of Sage such as
https://github.com/3-manifolds/Sage_macOS/releases, conda-forge, and
of course any packaging of Sage for Linux distros, etc., instead of
pointing them at binaries that don't work?

Instead of "Proposal: Stop providing binary distributions" maybe your
proposal is:

"Proposal: Group X will stop providing binary distributions, and instead
much more strongly encourage and advertise the work of groups
Y, Z, etc... to provide binary distributions" ?

This is all about just acknowledging limits and spreading the
workload more broadly, and also doing a better job at encouraging
users toward the fantastic work of
https://github.com/3-manifolds/Sage_macOS/releases,
the conda project, gentoo, etc...

> On Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 5:41:58 PM UTC-5 emanuel.c...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Mixed feelings... See my comments on the ticket.
>>
>> Le samedi 8 janvier 2022 à 20:10:15 UTC+1, Matthias Koeppe a écrit :
>>>
>>> Comments/review please in https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/33131
>>>
> --

William (http://wstein.org)

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 9, 2022, 4:19:42 PM1/9/22
to sage-devel

On Sun, 9 Jan 2022, 20:46 Murray Eisenberg, <murraye...@gmail.com> wrote:

As strictly an end-user of Sage, and only on macOS, I find the prospect of not being able to download a binary (not even from https://github.com/3-manifolds/Sage_macOS/releases)

the latter is here to stay, and is already pointed to by

Indeed, the post was slightly mistitled.
Mac binaries mentioned there are different, mostly hopelessly broken, violating current macOS standards, etc.,  binaries.

repellent. And providing, only a Docker image instead, equally repellent. The probability is large that I would abandon Sage if binaries were not available.
On Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 5:41:58 PM UTC-5 emanuel.c...@gmail.com wrote:
Mixed feelings... See my comments on the ticket.

Le samedi 8 janvier 2022 à 20:10:15 UTC+1, Matthias Koeppe a écrit :
Comments/review please in https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/33131

Matthias Koeppe

Jan 9, 2022, 8:31:42 PM1/9/22
to sage-devel

That's right, that's the proposal, see ticket https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/33131 (needs review).

Instead of "Proposal: Stop providing binary distributions" maybe your
proposal is:

"Proposal: Group X will stop providing binary distributions, and instead
much more strongly encourage and advertise the work of groups
Y, Z, etc... to provide binary distributions" ?

where Group X =  the upstream project SageMath.

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 10, 2022, 3:11:19 AM1/10/22
to sage-devel
I suppose it should not include (binary) wheels (still very much WIP) and docker or other VM-like images, right?

Matthias Koeppe

Jan 10, 2022, 1:26:50 PM1/10/22
to sage-devel
On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 12:11:19 AM UTC-8 Dima Pasechnik wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022, 01:31 Matthias Koeppe, <matthia...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 1:02:27 PM UTC-8 wst...@gmail.com wrote:
Instead of "Proposal: Stop providing binary distributions" maybe your
proposal is:

"Proposal: Group X will stop providing binary distributions, and instead
much more strongly encourage and advertise the work of groups
Y, Z, etc... to provide binary distributions" ?

where Group X =  the upstream project SageMath.

I suppose it should not include (binary) wheels (still very much WIP) and docker or other VM-like images, right?

Agreed. See ticket (needs review).