Jan 30 to Feb 4: Trac downtime, migration to GitHub

Matthias Koeppe

Jan 26, 2023, 6:55:03 PM1/26/23
to sage-devel
Dear Sage developers:
Next week the migration from Trac to GitHub will take place.

1. Starting Monday Jan 30 at 13:00 UTC, the Trac website and the Trac git server will be temporarily offline. For indefinitely continued access to branches on Trac git (read only!), you can use https://github.com/sagemath/sagetrac-mirror.git

2. By Monday Jan 30 at 23:00 UTC, the Trac website is planned to be available again, but in public read-only mode only.
- Logins to the Trac website, whether by Trac account or by GitHub, will no longer work.
- It will no longer be possible to use SSH to access the Trac git server. In particular, it will no longer be possible to push to the Trac git server.
- You can continue to make commits on your computer.

3. By Saturday Feb 4 at 23:00 UTC, the migration to GitHub is planned to be completed. We will announce the next steps for developers by then.

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 26, 2023, 7:06:36 PM1/26/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 11:55 PM Matthias Koeppe
<matthia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sage developers:
> Next week the migration from Trac to GitHub will take place.
>
> 1. Starting Monday Jan 30 at 13:00 UTC, the Trac website and the Trac git server will be temporarily offline. For indefinitely continued access to branches on Trac git (read only!), you can use https://github.com/sagemath/sagetrac-mirror.git

Certainly, you can create a fork of this repo for yourself, and work with it.

> 2. By Monday Jan 30 at 23:00 UTC, the Trac website is planned to be available again, but in public read-only mode only.

(hopefully earlier)

> - Logins to the Trac website, whether by Trac account or by GitHub, will no longer work.
> - It will no longer be possible to use SSH to access the Trac git server. In particular, it will no longer be possible to push to the Trac git server.
> - You can continue to make commits on your computer.

and if you like (even if just for backup purposes) push your changes
to your personal fork on GitHub
(or elsewhere, e.g. GitLab and codeberg (https://codeberg.org/) are
two alternatives)

> 3. By Saturday Feb 4 at 23:00 UTC, the migration to GitHub is planned to be completed. We will announce the next steps for developers by then.

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 30, 2023, 9:07:36 AM1/30/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
OK, it should be read-only now (for pushing, ticket
creating/modifying, other state-changing admin)
Logins still work though, but they have no effect on anything, as far
as I can see.

Please let me know if for some reason you still can modify things!

Cheers
Dima

Eric Gourgoulhon

Jan 30, 2023, 9:49:29 AM1/30/23
to sage-devel
Le lundi 30 janvier 2023 à 15:07:36 UTC+1, dim...@gmail.com a écrit :
OK, it should be read-only now (for pushing, ticket
creating/modifying, other state-changing admin)

Thank you Dima!

Logins still work though, but they have no effect on anything, as far
as I can see.

Please let me know if for some reason you still can modify things!

It seems that, once logged in, one can still modify a ticket comment, see

Eric.

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 30, 2023, 10:35:46 AM1/30/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
hmm. Could you try now?
(I've rebooted the server, it might have helped...)

(sorry, I only tested with gh-*- accounts, they did look readonly.)

> Eric.

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 30, 2023, 11:02:43 AM1/30/23
to sage-devel
Could someone with a "legacy" trac account quickly check whether they
can modify tickets. (me and mkoeppe are still able, but that's the
current setup)

Thanks much

TB

Jan 30, 2023, 11:10:46 AM1/30/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
See https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/31446#comment:17
Getting to the "Edit" button was tricky.

David Roe

Jan 30, 2023, 11:12:22 AM1/30/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I am still able to edit comments (see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/11777#comment:5), but there doesn't seem to be a way to edit the ticket's overall status.

I think this is probably alright, if you're struggling to figure out how to disable editing comments.
David

John Cremona

Jan 30, 2023, 11:58:49 AM1/30/23
to SAGE devel

On Mon, 30 Jan 2023, 16:02 Dima Pasechnik, <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
Could someone with a "legacy" trac account quickly check whether they
can modify tickets. (me and mkoeppe are still able, but that's the
current setup)

I could not login, the username cremona and my password were deemed invalid.

John

Thanks much

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 3:35 PM Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 2:49 PM Eric Gourgoulhon <egourg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Le lundi 30 janvier 2023 à 15:07:36 UTC+1, dim...@gmail.com a écrit :
> > OK, it should be read-only now (for pushing, ticket
> > creating/modifying, other state-changing admin)
> >
> > Thank you Dima!
> >
> > Logins still work though, but they have no effect on anything, as far
> > as I can see.
> >
> > Please let me know if for some reason you still can modify things!
> >

> > It seems that, once logged in, one can still modify a ticket comment, see
> > https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/30525#comment:106
> >

> hmm. Could you try now?
> (I've rebooted the server, it might have helped...)
>
> (sorry, I only tested with gh-*- accounts, they did look  readonly.)
>

> > Eric.

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 30, 2023, 12:13:40 PM1/30/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 4:58 PM John Cremona <john.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jan 2023, 16:02 Dima Pasechnik, <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Could someone with a "legacy" trac account quickly check whether they
>> can modify tickets. (me and mkoeppe are still able, but that's the
>> current setup)
>

> I could not login, the username cremona and my password were deemed invalid.

yes, I know - the problem is how to expire the logged in sessions
(i.e. if you were logged in, your browser still would have held a
token allowing you do effect changes -
until you logged out. That's of course a bog-standard issue for web
apps, but trac does not seem to offer
an easy way to deal with it)
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAD0p0K5LGRDYKas2tUNvcfz1_hpPH51eg9JZDoLAEiNKWU9bWQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 30, 2023, 12:49:56 PM1/30/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, David Roe
On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 4:12 PM David Roe <roed...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am still able to edit comments (see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/11777#comment:5), but there doesn't seem to be a way to edit the ticket's overall status.

David - I'm trying to see if I was able to remotely "kick you out" -
assuming you didn't log out, can you still edit
comments?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAChs6_n-EH0%3Dd%2BZQA7BzTOAfSy1LN_sGN7NzCm8hsmRAqbGHKA%40mail.gmail.com.

David Roe

Jan 30, 2023, 1:35:46 PM1/30/23
to Dima Pasechnik, sage-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I was still able to edit the comment.
David

Kwankyu Lee

Jan 30, 2023, 2:50:46 PM1/30/23
to sage-devel
For me, Trac is down,

OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/srv/trac/sage_trac/gitolite-admin/conf/gitolite.conf'

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 30, 2023, 3:15:24 PM1/30/23
to sage-devel

On Mon, 30 Jan 2023, 19:50 Kwankyu Lee, <ekwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
For me, Trac is down,

OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/srv/trac/sage_trac/gitolite-admin/conf/gitolite.conf'

that's cause I have to run "trac-admin" - and it breaks www access.

I'll restore it after I am done.

Kwankyu Lee

Jan 30, 2023, 3:38:57 PM1/30/23
to sage-devel
On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 5:15:24 AM UTC+9 dim...@gmail.com wrote:
that's cause I have to run "trac-admin" - and it breaks www access.

I'll restore it after I am done.

It's restored. Happily I cannot login to trac.

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 30, 2023, 3:41:39 PM1/30/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Did you log out? Or you were basically kicked out?

David Roe

Jan 30, 2023, 3:54:23 PM1/30/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I haven't been logged out, and am still able to edit my comments.
David

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 30, 2023, 4:15:22 PM1/30/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 8:54 PM David Roe <roed...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't been logged out, and am still able to edit my comments.

Could you try now?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAChs6_%3Dz8nxUJAkk0tU%3D%3D%3DzhY3rsxgtTbpmFPtSKmkwZYt_YWw%40mail.gmail.com.

Kwankyu Lee

Jan 30, 2023, 4:56:31 PM1/30/23
to sage-devel
On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 5:41:39 AM UTC+9 dim...@gmail.com wrote:

Did you log out? Or you were basically kicked out?

I didn't log out.

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 30, 2023, 5:06:34 PM1/30/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
OK, so perhaps (former) TRAC_ADMINS, such as David, are treated differently?
OK, it's good news. We didn't have many of these (under 20), so it's
reasonable to assume they won't
go change contents, if for some reason they have an authenticated to
trac browser session lying somewhere...

John H Palmieri

Jan 31, 2023, 2:31:16 PM1/31/23
to sage-devel
Is there going to be one more round of (presumably automatic) additions to trac, providing a link from each trac ticket to the corresponding GH issue?

Matthias Koeppe

Jan 31, 2023, 3:00:20 PM1/31/23
to sage-devel
Yes, that is planned as the last item in https://github.com/sagemath/trac-to-github/issues/73
This will need help from a Trac admin.

Matthias Koeppe

Jan 31, 2023, 3:00:57 PM1/31/23
to sage-devel
I think it can be done in the same code that provides the ticket box or the CI badges,