quo_rem for multivariate Laurent polynomial rings

VulK

Jan 17, 2021, 10:25:27 AM1/17/21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
can someone please confirm that the current behaviour of sage is not the
expected one before I open a ticket about it?

sage: R.<x,y> = LaurentPolynomialRing(QQ)
sage: q,r = (1/x).quo_rem(y) ; q,r
(0, 1)
sage: q*y + r == x
False

The correct answer should have been:

sage: R.<x,y> = LaurentPolynomialRing(QQ)
sage: q,r = (1/x).quo_rem(y) ; q,r
(0, 1/x)
sage: q*y + r == x
True

Thanks
S.

dmo...@deductivepress.ca

Jan 17, 2021, 3:01:41 PM1/17/21
to sage-devel
I agree that this needs to be fixed. Offhand, I don't know what the answer should be (for example, (1/(x*y), 0) also seems reasonable), but (0,1) is certainly not correct. So please do open a ticket.

Please correct the typo when you make the ticket, though: q*y + r == x should be q*y + r == 1/x (in both places).

VulK

Jan 17, 2021, 3:51:31 PM1/17/21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Oops, thanks for catching the mistake