Linux on Windows

Mike Hansen

Mar 30, 2016, 12:51:50 PM3/30/16
to sage-devel
It's looking like Windows is getting support for the Linux API in its kernel (think the reverse of Wine) allowing it to run native Linux binaries.  See http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html.  It seems like this might be a great alternative to Cygwin for Sage on Windows.

--Mike

Volker Braun

Mar 30, 2016, 1:54:52 PM3/30/16
to sage-devel
Sounds like the devil is ice-skating to work today ;-)

Of course MS had a posix layer since about forever, they just never did anything with it or really made it available for others to use...

William Stein

Mar 30, 2016, 2:15:06 PM3/30/16
to sage-devel
On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Volker Braun <vbrau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds like the devil is ice-skating to work today ;-)
>
> Of course MS had a posix layer since about forever, they just never did
> anything with it or really made it available for others to use...

"the POSIX subsystem was essentially a checkbox feature to meet some
government contracting requirements. [...]"
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11388601

> On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 6:51:50 PM UTC+2, Mike Hansen wrote:
>>
>> It's looking like Windows is getting support for the Linux API in its
>> kernel (think the reverse of Wine) allowing it to run native Linux binaries.
>> See http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html. It seems
>> like this might be a great alternative to Cygwin for Sage on Windows.
>>
>> --Mike
>
> --

William (http://wstein.org)

Volker Braun

Mar 30, 2016, 2:37:33 PM3/30/16
to sage-devel
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 8:15:06 PM UTC+2, William wrote:
"the POSIX subsystem was essentially a checkbox feature to meet some
government contracting requirements. [...]"

Thought that refers to the ancient "posix subsystem", not the more recent "windows services for unix" which I believe was quite functional. It was also extra $ and not part of the base OS so I never got to play with it....

William Stein

Mar 30, 2016, 2:44:50 PM3/30/16
to sage-devel
I was responding to your comment "Of course MS had a posix layer since
about forever, they just never did anything with it or really made it
available for others to use..." which seems to be about ' the ancient
"posix subsystem"' (?).

Bill Hart

Mar 30, 2016, 7:52:40 PM3/30/16
to sage-devel
It looks like this thing is going to be pretty solid [1]. I'm actually incredibly excited about it, more than I have been about Windows for about 20 years.

Bill Hart

Mar 30, 2016, 8:17:28 PM3/30/16
to sage-devel
It's almost a year since I predicted Microsoft would do something like this. I have an email from September last year which was a followup email some months after I told a colleague something like this would happen. If I recall our conversation correctly, I was pretty specific about being able to run native Linux apps in a console similar to the usual dos console but without a VM or something like Cygwin. Naturally he thought I was mad.

I almost feel like I should make another tech prediction to celebrate. However, I still have a few outstanding. Towards the end of 2014 I predicted 2015-2025 would be a decade of AI breakthroughs. A couple of weeks ago I made two additional predictions. 1) Within 3 years someone will show how to beat world champions at Go on a computer without neural nets or AI, 2) Within 5 years someone will demonstrate meaningful theorem proving using neural networks, say theorems in set theory, group theory and other elementary algebraic topics. Both I will enjoy.

Bill.

Francesco Biscani

Mar 31, 2016, 3:23:56 AM3/31/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On the theme of hell freezing over, this also happened:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2016/03/30/visual-c-for-linux-development/

Volker Braun

Mar 31, 2016, 4:02:33 AM3/31/16
to sage-devel
On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 9:23:56 AM UTC+2, bluescarni wrote:
On the theme of hell freezing over, this also happened:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2016/03/30/visual-c-for-linux-development/

Though that is less surprising since they released Linux remote debugging (gdb over ssh) support last year...

William Stein

Mar 31, 2016, 6:48:14 AM3/31/16
to sage-devel
Maybe it is time for another Sage Days at Microsoft... (we had one
there a few years ago).

William (http://wstein.org)