Re: [sage-support] For info ?

Jan Groenewald

Sep 2, 2017, 11:49:20 AM9/2/17
to sage-support, sage-devel
Hi

Since sage is now in debian, the PPA is unlikely to be updated often, if at all.
On a new ubuntu, sage is inherited from Debian. If someone is interested in
maintaining that feel free to contact me off-list.

Regards,
Jan

On 2 September 2017 at 17:17, HG <henri....@gmail.com> wrote:
I would like to know when sage -8.0 will be in ppa AIMS ?
best

  .~.
  /V\     Jan Groenewald
 /( )\    www.aims.ac.za
 ^^-^^

Vincent Delecroix

Sep 2, 2017, 12:14:38 PM9/2/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
More precisely, the sagemath package is available on zesty (17.04)

https://packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/sagemath

I also don't see the point of keeping the ppa updated. It would be more
confusing than helpful. One thing that needs to be done is to update the
documentation on the SageMath website sagemath.org

Vincent

On 02/09/2017 08:48, Jan Groenewald wrote:
> Hi
>
> Since sage is now in debian, the PPA is unlikely to be updated often, if at
> all.
> On a new ubuntu, sage is inherited from Debian. If someone is interested in
> maintaining that feel free to contact me off-list.
>
> Regards,
> Jan
>
> On 2 September 2017 at 17:17, HG <henri....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would like to know when sage -8.0 will be in ppa AIMS ?
>> best

Jan Groenewald

Sep 2, 2017, 12:24:36 PM9/2/17
to sage-devel
Hi

On 2 September 2017 at 18:12, Vincent Delecroix <20100.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
More precisely, the sagemath package is available on zesty (17.04)

    https://packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/sagemath

I also don't see the point of keeping the ppa updated. It would be more confusing than helpful. One thing that needs to be done is to update the documentation on the SageMath website sagemath.org

We'd like to see sagemath in debian in backports. A PPA in Ubuntu could serve the same purpose.

More important, no more need for a monolithic binary repackage of sagemath for Ubuntu. That was a temporary workaround to get automatic updates via apt.
A new PPA should inherit from backports, not just the simple binary blob of files repackage I did of the sagemath binary tarball release.

sagemath is now properly modularised in debian, and sage8.0 is in experimental.

Regards,
Jan

Eric Gourgoulhon

Sep 3, 2017, 4:19:17 PM9/3/17
to sage-devel, sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Jan for having maintained the PPA during all these years!

Best regards,

Eric.

Vincent Delecroix

Sep 3, 2017, 4:23:36 PM9/3/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Indeed! That was very useful for Sage installation on Ubuntu.

Vincent

rolandog

Oct 21, 2017, 4:07:52 PM10/21/17
to sage-devel
I just created a ticket in Trac: https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/24084#ticket

I can't seem to install SageMath in Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark.

Is the sagemath package eventually going to be added to Artful's packages repository? https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/math/