tox -p: necessary resources?

John H Palmieri

Oct 25, 2021, 1:34:54 AM10/25/21
to sage-devel
If I want to run "tox -p auto" on my machine, what sort of resources do I need to allocate to Docker ahead of time, so that it won't run out of disk space? Any other tips for using it? What's a "local squid," anyway?

--
John

Matthias Koeppe

Oct 25, 2021, 11:49:43 AM10/25/21
to sage-devel
The comments on the top of SAGE_ROOT/tox.ini are unfortunately outdated, and "tox -p auto" currently does not work.
I have opened https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/32764 to improve this.

squid is an http proxy (http://www.squid-cache.org/). On homebrew, you can just install it using "brew install squid" and then use "/usr/local/sbin/squid" to start it. It's very helpful for speeding up the portability tests because every time you start a Docker-based test such as `tox -e docker-ubuntu-focal-standard`, it needs to download packages from the distribution's package server.

We should probably add an explanation along these lines to the documentation.