Issue templates

John Cremona

Feb 16, 2023, 4:04:11 AM2/16/23
to SAGE devel
I was about to open a new issue for work I have done which will implement a greatly improved method for something already implemented in Sage (twice, both by me...).  When you click on the button to create a new issue, there are three categories listed: Bug Report, Failure Building from Source, and Feature request -- plus a catch-all "blank issue".

Surely my situation is common enough to warrant an additional template, called (say) "Improvement on existing code"?

Also, there should be something for upgrading a dependent package.

Meanwhile I'll use the blank issue.

John

Dima Pasechnik

Feb 16, 2023, 5:18:02 AM2/16/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
if you already have the code, a PR would do, no need for an issue, IMHO.

John Cremona

Feb 16, 2023, 9:33:35 AM2/16/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 at 10:18, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
if you already have the code, a PR would do, no need for an issue, IMHO.

Good point.  But between some stand-alone code and properly integrating the functionality into Sage takes time and effort (which I am now in the middle of), and I might get distracted before finishing...

Ricardo Buring

Feb 17, 2023, 8:41:24 AM2/17/23
to sage-devel
Another option would be to open a pull request as a draft (with initial changes in any state of completion, which can anyway be overwritten later using a force push). The draft state (which can be chosen when opening a PR, and can be toggled afterward as well) blocks the PR from being merged and allows it to be marked ready later.