pdf docs from jupyter notebook

Steven Trogdon

Jan 9, 2022, 1:26:01 PM1/9/22
to sage-devel
From a new Sagemath jupyter notebook if I select the Sage Documentation I have numerous PDF links which are broken., for example

[W 11:01:19.061 NotebookApp] 404 GET /kernelspecs/pdf/en/tutorial/SageTutorial.pdf (::1): Kernel spec pdf not found
[W 11:01:19.062 NotebookApp] 404 GET /kernelspecs/pdf/en/tutorial/SageTutorial.pdf (::1) 3.140000ms referer=http://localhost:8888/kernelspecs/sagemath/doc/index.html

Are these links supposed to work from the notebook? They do work if the path

file:///$SAGE_ROOT/local/share/doc/sage/html/en/index.html

is pasted in a brower.

Eric Gourgoulhon

Jan 10, 2022, 1:30:27 PM1/10/22
to sage-devel
Hi,

I am not sure to understand what your problem is:  from a Sage Jupyter notebook, if I click on the "Help" menu and select "Sage Documentation", then a new tab opens in the browser at the address
It displays html documentation and there is no attempt to show any pdf file.
This is with Sage 9.5.rc0 running on Ubuntu 20.04.

Eric.

Steven Trogdon

Jan 10, 2022, 3:09:00 PM1/10/22
to sage-devel
I'm presently unable to get the jupyter kernel to start with Sage 9.5.rc0 , so I will respond more directly when that is fixed. However, with 9.5.beta9 when I opened "Sage Documentation" there was not only links to html documentation but beside each link there was a PDF icon to get pdf documentation. When that PDF icon was "clicked" I received the terminal error in my first post. I'm rebuilding 9.5.rc0 to see if the jupyter kernel issue is resolved.

Steven Trogdon

Jan 10, 2022, 3:40:44 PM1/10/22
to sage-devel

Things are now working. When I open "Sage Documentation", at the top of the page there is "Sage Documentation v9.5.rc0", then "Tutorials and FAQ" and then, for example "Tutorial". The "Tutorial" is a link to the "html" documentation, but beside this link is a PDF icon that links to pdf documentation. The "Tutorial" link works but the PDF link fails. This may only show if the pdf documentation has been built.

Steven Trogdon

Jan 20, 2022, 12:40:07 AM1/20/22
to sage-devel
This is now https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/33206 where the issue is, hopefully, more clearly explained and a potential solution provided.