NTL 10.2.0

Victor Shoup

Nov 10, 2016, 4:26:50 PM11/10/16
to sage-devel
Just posted a new version. In addition to a few performance improvements,
I've added new routines that give direct access to the underlying "limbs" of a ZZ,
which is a feature that has been requested from time to time.

As usual, go to: http://www.shoup.net/ntl

The next thing I will be working on is implementing a multi-modular algorithm
for matrix multiplication over ZZ_p, using the now much faster matrix multiplication
algorithms over zz_p.  My preliminary estimates indicate that this should
speed up NTL's mat_ZZ_p mul routines by a factor of 10-20x.
And a multicore version should make it even faster.

After I get faster matrix multiplication working, I want to first experiment with
applying it to the modular composition algorithm used in the ZZ_pX factoring
algorithm.  I'm hoping to get a 2-3x speedup in the DDF routine.

After that, I want to work on implementing the reductions from matrix inversion, etc,
to matrix multiplication (over ZZ_p). For this I can probably "re-purpose" FLINT or other
open-source code that has already been written.  If anyone would like to help me
with that, I would be grateful.

This multi-modular approach to matrix mul is of course not new --- it is in Sage already
via FFLAS, I think.  But still, I'd like to work on getting a fairly decent implementation in NTL.
It's a hobby :-)

Note: Based on my benchmarks, for 20-bit primes, NTL's mat_zz_p multiplication
is about 20% slower than FFLAS on an x86 with AVX2, so not too bad.
Also, NTL's inversion routine is a bit faster than FFLAS's (between 15-35%).

Bill Hart

Nov 17, 2016, 10:30:41 AM11/17/16
to sage-devel
If there's anything specific I can do to help, just let me know.