sage-9.6: "Unhandled SIGILL: An Illegal Instruction Occurred"

William Stein

May 17, 2022, 2:27:18 PM5/17/22
to sage-devel
Hi,

As with sage-9.4 (?), but *NOT* with sage-9.5, now that sage-9.6 is
out I updated cocalc-docker to use it, and immediately I'm
getting complaints from users that see "Unhandled SIGILL: An Illegal
Instruction Occurred" when running Sage. I've changed
nothing about how Sage is built, i.e., using this little script:

https://github.com/sagemathinc/cocalc-docker/blob/master/scripts/install_sage.sh

This does set `export SAGE_FAT_BINARY="yes"`, so I guess
SAGE_FAT_BINARY is broken, yet again?

I'm just reverting cocalc-docker to sage-9.5 for now and updated the
release tour with a note about that.

-- William

--
William (http://wstein.org)
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 11.26.07 AM.png

Matthias Koeppe

May 17, 2022, 2:36:41 PM5/17/22
to sage-devel
The SageMath project does not make binaries any more.
It's in the hands of binary-providing downstream developers to contribute to the maintenance of SAGE_FAT_BINARY.

William Stein

May 17, 2022, 2:46:48 PM5/17/22
to sage-devel