VOTE: move Sage development to Github

David Roe

Sep 21, 2022, 1:23:36 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
Dear Sage developers,
Following extensive discussion, both recently (prompted by issues upgrading the trac server) and over the last decade, we are calling a vote on switching Sage development from Trac to Github.  We've created a summary of the pros and cons of each system, a description of the development model to be used on github, and a trac ticket for coordinating work on the transition.  More work will need to be done to carry out the actual transition once voting is complete.

The voting will last until noon Eastern time (16:00 UTC) on Wednesday, October 5.  Please use this thread only for sending votes, to make it easier to count them afterward; there is a parallel thread where you can make arguments in favor of either system.

Finally, I will close with a plea to be involved in this vote and discussion even if you are not a core Sage developer.  By definition, core Sage developers have become comfortable with trac, and I think that one of the major arguments in favor of github is that it will help bring in new contributors who are not familiar with Sage's development workfow.  Anyone who has ever contributed to the Sage code base or who maintains a Sage user package is welcome to vote.
David

Edgar Costa

Sep 21, 2022, 1:33:14 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

David Joyner

Sep 21, 2022, 1:34:26 PMSep 21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Github

William Stein

Sep 21, 2022, 1:36:30 PMSep 21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Github
> --

William (http://wstein.org)

David Roe

Sep 21, 2022, 1:49:05 PMSep 21
to sage-devel

Matthias Koeppe

Sep 21, 2022, 1:57:43 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Trevor Karn

Sep 21, 2022, 2:02:10 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

julian...@fsfe.org

Sep 21, 2022, 2:02:16 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

Yuan ZHOU

Sep 21, 2022, 2:02:20 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 21, 2022, 2:14:06 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 to GitHub

David Lowry-Duda

Sep 21, 2022, 2:19:15 PMSep 21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Github

--
David Lowry-Duda <da...@lowryduda.com> <davidlowryduda.com>

Benjamin Hackl

Sep 21, 2022, 2:30:16 PMSep 21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for GitHub.

Fredrik Johansson

Sep 21, 2022, 2:43:22 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

David Ayotte

Sep 21, 2022, 2:56:20 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 for Github.

Ricardo Buring

Sep 21, 2022, 3:56:32 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

John Cremona

Sep 21, 2022, 3:58:39 PMSep 21
to SAGE devel
+1 for GitHub

Volker Braun

Sep 21, 2022, 4:43:25 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 for github

G. M.-S.

Sep 21, 2022, 4:58:41 PMSep 21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

+1 for GitHub (if I am allowed to vote).

Guillermo

Jaap Spies

Sep 21, 2022, 6:01:46 PMSep 21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Github

Kwankyu Lee

Sep 21, 2022, 10:39:17 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

dmo...@deductivepress.ca

Sep 21, 2022, 10:45:58 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Jing Guo

Sep 21, 2022, 10:50:56 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Travis Scrimshaw

Sep 21, 2022, 10:59:14 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
-1

Nathan Dunfield

Sep 21, 2022, 11:15:22 PMSep 21
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

Rusydi H. Makarim

Sep 21, 2022, 11:49:56 PMSep 21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Github

On Thu, 22 Sep 2022, 07:15 Nathan Dunfield, <nat...@dunfield.info> wrote:
+1 for GitHub

Priyanshu Rai

Sep 22, 2022, 12:35:07 AMSep 22
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub. Mirroring to GitLab can be considered later.

On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 8:45:22 AM UTC+5:30 Nathan Dunfield wrote:
+1 for GitHub

Clement Pernet

Sep 22, 2022, 2:39:46 AMSep 22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Github.

Le 21/09/2022 à 19:23, David Roe a écrit :
> Dear Sage developers,
> Following extensive discussion, both recently
> <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/ayOL8_bzOfk/m/Pg-rmYAUBwAJ> (prompted by issues upgrading
> the trac server) and over <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/yBv5MCG9SJY/m/gYOYnRhzDAAJ> the
> <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/Xw6CNq1lyiI/m/_XcxeD_kDQAJ> last
> <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/z33SLveYiIo/m/CxNxsXnBeNAJ> decade
> <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/DmjL8hHJYI8/m/NG9_xmsPbFYJ>, we are calling a vote on
> switching Sage development from Trac <https://trac.sagemath.org/> to Github
> <https://www.github.com/>.  We've created a summary of the pros and cons of each system
> <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/wiki/Github-vs-Gitlab-vs-trac>, a description of the development
> model to be used on github <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/wiki/migration-from-trac-to-Git**b>,
> and a trac ticket <https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/30363> for coordinating work on the transition.
> More work will need to be done to carry out the actual transition once voting is complete.
>
> The voting will last until noon Eastern time (16:00 UTC) on Wednesday, October 5.  Please use this
> thread only for sending votes, to make it easier to count them afterward; there is a parallel thread
> where you can make arguments in favor of either system.
>
> Finally, I will close with a plea to be involved in this vote and discussion even if you are not a
> core Sage developer.  By definition, core Sage developers have become comfortable with trac, and I
> think that one of the major arguments in favor of github is that it will help bring in new
> contributors who are not familiar with Sage's development workfow
> <https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/index.html>.  Anyone who has ever contributed to the
> Sage code base or who maintains a Sage user package is welcome to vote.
> David
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAChs6_%3DyvZ869L66E1tFmziWDirbawSEABf_uc_j9Dy8VBFW8w%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAChs6_%3DyvZ869L66E1tFmziWDirbawSEABf_uc_j9Dy8VBFW8w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Eric Gourgoulhon

Sep 22, 2022, 3:43:41 AMSep 22
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

Harald Schilly

kevin...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2022, 3:52:29 AMSep 22
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

chris wuthrich

Sep 22, 2022, 5:38:17 AMSep 22
to sage-devel

0    (No real preference and too little understanding of the matter, but very happy that we have a meaningful vote on things like this.)

Antoine Leudière

Sep 22, 2022, 6:06:02 AMSep 22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Jonathan

Sep 22, 2022, 8:19:57 AMSep 22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Tobias Diez

Sep 22, 2022, 10:38:59 AMSep 22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Martin R

Sep 22, 2022, 10:40:49 AMSep 22
to sage-devel
0    (I like trac, but I am unable and unwilling to contribute to it)

Clemens Heuberger

Sep 22, 2022, 10:44:47 AMSep 22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for GitHub

Clemens Heuberger

Am 21.09.22 um 19:23 schrieb David Roe:
> Dear Sage developers,
> Following extensive discussion, both recently
> <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/ayOL8_bzOfk/m/Pg-rmYAUBwAJ> (prompted
> by issues upgrading the trac server) and over
> <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/DmjL8hHJYI8/m/NG9_xmsPbFYJ>, we are
> calling a vote on switching Sage development from Trac
> <https://trac.sagemath.org/> to Github <https://www.github.com/>.  We've created
> a summary of the pros and cons of each system
> trac ticket <https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/30363> for coordinating work on
> the transition.  More work will need to be done to carry out the actual
> transition once voting is complete.
>
> The voting will last until noon Eastern time (16:00 UTC) on Wednesday, October
> 5.  Please use this thread only for sending votes, to make it easier to count
> them afterward; there is a parallel thread where you can make arguments in favor
> of either system.
>
> Finally, I will close with a plea to be involved in this vote and discussion
> even if you are not a core Sage developer.  By definition, core Sage developers
> have become comfortable with trac, and I think that one of the major arguments
> in favor of github is that it will help bring in new contributors who are not
> familiar with Sage's development workfow
> <https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/index.html>.  Anyone who has ever

Martin R. Albrecht

Sep 22, 2022, 12:43:02 PMSep 22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for GitHub
--

_pgp: https://keybase.io/martinralbrecht
_www: https://malb.io

Antonio Rojas

Sep 22, 2022, 2:22:27 PMSep 22
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

Nitish Kumar Sharma

Sep 23, 2022, 12:55:30 AMSep 23
to sage-devel
+1 for Github
as I'm new to open source,it would be easy for me to learn and contribute through github as ik some of it
it would be awesome

On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 10:53:36 PM UTC+5:30 David Roe wrote:
[...]

Emmanuel Charpentier

Sep 23, 2022, 2:37:26 AMSep 23
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Also wishing for contingency plan for re-migrating to self-hosted Gitlab.

seb....@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2022, 2:46:46 AMSep 23
to sage-devel
+1 for Github  (personally I still prefer Trac, but the bus factor argument and recruitment of new contributors are more important)

Marc Mezzarobba

Sep 23, 2022, 6:43:04 AMSep 23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> +1 for Github
>
> Also wishing for contingency plan for re-migrating to self-hosted
> Gitlab.

Same here.

--
Marc

Vincent Delecroix

Sep 23, 2022, 5:12:22 PMSep 23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
-1

Anne Schilling

Sep 24, 2022, 12:53:07 AMSep 24
to sage-devel
-1

Andrey Novoseltsev

Sep 26, 2022, 10:46:15 PMSep 26
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Samuel Lelievre

Sep 29, 2022, 6:15:54 AMSep 29
to sage-devel
-1

Michael Orlitzky

Sep 29, 2022, 2:59:23 PMSep 29
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
-1

Proprietary platforms are against the spirit of free software,
science, and mathematics. It is also a step backwards from what we
have now. Microsoft is one of the oldest, most resourceful, and most
consistent enemies of open software and standards. Letting them
control the platform is especially foolish.

An emergency plan to migrate away from Github is less than worthl