VOTE: move Sage development to Github

David Roe

Sep 21, 2022, 1:23:36 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
Dear Sage developers,
Following extensive discussion, both recently (prompted by issues upgrading the trac server) and over the last decade, we are calling a vote on switching Sage development from Trac to Github.  We've created a summary of the pros and cons of each system, a description of the development model to be used on github, and a trac ticket for coordinating work on the transition.  More work will need to be done to carry out the actual transition once voting is complete.

The voting will last until noon Eastern time (16:00 UTC) on Wednesday, October 5.  Please use this thread only for sending votes, to make it easier to count them afterward; there is a parallel thread where you can make arguments in favor of either system.

Finally, I will close with a plea to be involved in this vote and discussion even if you are not a core Sage developer.  By definition, core Sage developers have become comfortable with trac, and I think that one of the major arguments in favor of github is that it will help bring in new contributors who are not familiar with Sage's development workfow.  Anyone who has ever contributed to the Sage code base or who maintains a Sage user package is welcome to vote.
David

Edgar Costa

Sep 21, 2022, 1:33:14 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

David Joyner

Sep 21, 2022, 1:34:26 PM9/21/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Github

William Stein

Sep 21, 2022, 1:36:30 PM9/21/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Github
> --

William (http://wstein.org)

David Roe

Sep 21, 2022, 1:49:05 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel

Matthias Koeppe

Sep 21, 2022, 1:57:43 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Trevor Karn

Sep 21, 2022, 2:02:10 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

julian...@fsfe.org

Sep 21, 2022, 2:02:16 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

Yuan ZHOU

Sep 21, 2022, 2:02:20 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 21, 2022, 2:14:06 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 to GitHub

David Lowry-Duda

Sep 21, 2022, 2:19:15 PM9/21/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Github

--
David Lowry-Duda <da...@lowryduda.com> <davidlowryduda.com>

Benjamin Hackl

Sep 21, 2022, 2:30:16 PM9/21/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for GitHub.

Fredrik Johansson

Sep 21, 2022, 2:43:22 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

David Ayotte

Sep 21, 2022, 2:56:20 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github.

Ricardo Buring

Sep 21, 2022, 3:56:32 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

John Cremona

Sep 21, 2022, 3:58:39 PM9/21/22
to SAGE devel
+1 for GitHub

Volker Braun

Sep 21, 2022, 4:43:25 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 for github

G. M.-S.

Sep 21, 2022, 4:58:41 PM9/21/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

+1 for GitHub (if I am allowed to vote).

Guillermo

Jaap Spies

Sep 21, 2022, 6:01:46 PM9/21/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Github

Kwankyu Lee

Sep 21, 2022, 10:39:17 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

dmo...@deductivepress.ca

Sep 21, 2022, 10:45:58 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Jing Guo

Sep 21, 2022, 10:50:56 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Travis Scrimshaw

Sep 21, 2022, 10:59:14 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
-1

Nathan Dunfield

Sep 21, 2022, 11:15:22 PM9/21/22
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

Rusydi H. Makarim

Sep 21, 2022, 11:49:56 PM9/21/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Github

On Thu, 22 Sep 2022, 07:15 Nathan Dunfield, <nat...@dunfield.info> wrote:
+1 for GitHub

Priyanshu Rai

Sep 22, 2022, 12:35:07 AM9/22/22
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub. Mirroring to GitLab can be considered later.

On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 8:45:22 AM UTC+5:30 Nathan Dunfield wrote:
+1 for GitHub

Clement Pernet

Sep 22, 2022, 2:39:46 AM9/22/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Github.

Le 21/09/2022 à 19:23, David Roe a écrit :
> Dear Sage developers,
> Following extensive discussion, both recently
> <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/ayOL8_bzOfk/m/Pg-rmYAUBwAJ> (prompted by issues upgrading
> the trac server) and over <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/yBv5MCG9SJY/m/gYOYnRhzDAAJ> the
> <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/Xw6CNq1lyiI/m/_XcxeD_kDQAJ> last
> <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/z33SLveYiIo/m/CxNxsXnBeNAJ> decade
> <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/DmjL8hHJYI8/m/NG9_xmsPbFYJ>, we are calling a vote on
> switching Sage development from Trac <https://trac.sagemath.org/> to Github
> <https://www.github.com/>.  We've created a summary of the pros and cons of each system
> <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/wiki/Github-vs-Gitlab-vs-trac>, a description of the development
> model to be used on github <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/wiki/migration-from-trac-to-Git**b>,
> and a trac ticket <https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/30363> for coordinating work on the transition.
> More work will need to be done to carry out the actual transition once voting is complete.
>
> The voting will last until noon Eastern time (16:00 UTC) on Wednesday, October 5.  Please use this
> thread only for sending votes, to make it easier to count them afterward; there is a parallel thread
> where you can make arguments in favor of either system.
>
> Finally, I will close with a plea to be involved in this vote and discussion even if you are not a
> core Sage developer.  By definition, core Sage developers have become comfortable with trac, and I
> think that one of the major arguments in favor of github is that it will help bring in new
> contributors who are not familiar with Sage's development workfow
> <https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/index.html>.  Anyone who has ever contributed to the
> Sage code base or who maintains a Sage user package is welcome to vote.
> David
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAChs6_%3DyvZ869L66E1tFmziWDirbawSEABf_uc_j9Dy8VBFW8w%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAChs6_%3DyvZ869L66E1tFmziWDirbawSEABf_uc_j9Dy8VBFW8w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Eric Gourgoulhon

Sep 22, 2022, 3:43:41 AM9/22/22
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

Harald Schilly

kevin...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2022, 3:52:29 AM9/22/22
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

chris wuthrich

Sep 22, 2022, 5:38:17 AM9/22/22
to sage-devel

0    (No real preference and too little understanding of the matter, but very happy that we have a meaningful vote on things like this.)

Antoine Leudière

Sep 22, 2022, 6:06:02 AM9/22/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Jonathan

Sep 22, 2022, 8:19:57 AM9/22/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Tobias Diez

Sep 22, 2022, 10:38:59 AM9/22/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Martin R

Sep 22, 2022, 10:40:49 AM9/22/22
to sage-devel
0    (I like trac, but I am unable and unwilling to contribute to it)

Clemens Heuberger

Sep 22, 2022, 10:44:47 AM9/22/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for GitHub

Clemens Heuberger

Am 21.09.22 um 19:23 schrieb David Roe:
> Dear Sage developers,
> Following extensive discussion, both recently
> <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/ayOL8_bzOfk/m/Pg-rmYAUBwAJ> (prompted
> by issues upgrading the trac server) and over
> <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/DmjL8hHJYI8/m/NG9_xmsPbFYJ>, we are
> calling a vote on switching Sage development from Trac
> <https://trac.sagemath.org/> to Github <https://www.github.com/>.  We've created
> a summary of the pros and cons of each system
> trac ticket <https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/30363> for coordinating work on
> the transition.  More work will need to be done to carry out the actual
> transition once voting is complete.
>
> The voting will last until noon Eastern time (16:00 UTC) on Wednesday, October
> 5.  Please use this thread only for sending votes, to make it easier to count
> them afterward; there is a parallel thread where you can make arguments in favor
> of either system.
>
> Finally, I will close with a plea to be involved in this vote and discussion
> even if you are not a core Sage developer.  By definition, core Sage developers
> have become comfortable with trac, and I think that one of the major arguments
> in favor of github is that it will help bring in new contributors who are not
> familiar with Sage's development workfow
> <https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/index.html>.  Anyone who has ever

Martin R. Albrecht

Sep 22, 2022, 12:43:02 PM9/22/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for GitHub
--

_pgp: https://keybase.io/martinralbrecht
_www: https://malb.io

Antonio Rojas

Sep 22, 2022, 2:22:27 PM9/22/22
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub

Nitish Kumar Sharma

Sep 23, 2022, 12:55:30 AM9/23/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github
as I'm new to open source,it would be easy for me to learn and contribute through github as ik some of it
it would be awesome

On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 10:53:36 PM UTC+5:30 David Roe wrote:
[...]

Emmanuel Charpentier

Sep 23, 2022, 2:37:26 AM9/23/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Also wishing for contingency plan for re-migrating to self-hosted Gitlab.

seb....@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2022, 2:46:46 AM9/23/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github  (personally I still prefer Trac, but the bus factor argument and recruitment of new contributors are more important)

Marc Mezzarobba

Sep 23, 2022, 6:43:04 AM9/23/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> +1 for Github
>
> Also wishing for contingency plan for re-migrating to self-hosted
> Gitlab.

Same here.

--
Marc

Vincent Delecroix

Sep 23, 2022, 5:12:22 PM9/23/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
-1

Anne Schilling

Sep 24, 2022, 12:53:07 AM9/24/22
to sage-devel
-1

Andrey Novoseltsev

Sep 26, 2022, 10:46:15 PM9/26/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Samuel Lelievre

Sep 29, 2022, 6:15:54 AM9/29/22
to sage-devel
-1

Michael Orlitzky

Sep 29, 2022, 2:59:23 PM9/29/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
-1

Proprietary platforms are against the spirit of free software,
science, and mathematics. It is also a step backwards from what we
have now. Microsoft is one of the oldest, most resourceful, and most
consistent enemies of open software and standards. Letting them
control the platform is especially foolish.

An emergency plan to migrate away from Github is less than worthless
because it presumes cooperation from Github. You're planning for a
very special type of disaster that is bad enough to make us want to
leave, but in which all of the data-retrieval APIs (and the data
themselves) remain freely available.

Matthias Koeppe

Sep 29, 2022, 3:11:17 PM9/29/22
to sage-devel
This thread is not for discussion, it's for voting only.

The reason for this policy is that misrepresentations and name-calling can inappropriately influence other voters.

TB

Oct 1, 2022, 5:19:37 PM10/1/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
-1 (but with the same wish as below)

Nils Bruin

Oct 1, 2022, 6:16:33 PM10/1/22
to sage-devel
+1 to move to github

erentar2002

Oct 1, 2022, 8:57:00 PM10/1/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Do i vote by email or is there a voting page

David Roe

Oct 1, 2022, 10:37:22 PM10/1/22
to sage-devel
Just vote by email on this thread; I will tally them on Wednesday.

erentar2002

Oct 2, 2022, 7:38:00 AM10/2/22
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

+1 for github, +2 for gitlab, +3 for selfhosted gitlab.

trac infrastructure should be backed up to not lose information

On 9/23/22 08:37, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:

Markus Wageringel

Oct 2, 2022, 11:15:22 AM10/2/22
to sage-devel
+1 for Github

Keshav Kini

Oct 2, 2022, 12:51:39 PM10/2/22
to sage-devel
+1 for GitHub (hi folks 🙂)

-Keshav

Simon Brandhorst

Oct 3, 2022, 3:14:29 PM10/3/22
to sage-devel
+1 GitHub

Alex J Best

Oct 4, 2022, 7:39:24 AM10/4/22
to sage-devel
+1 for github

David Roe

Oct 4, 2022, 7:06:07 PM10/4/22
to sage-devel
Just a reminder that voting ends tomorrow (noon EDT, 16:00 UTC), so if you've been putting off voting you should do so now.
David

Mike Zabrocki

Oct 5, 2022, 6:50:47 AM10/5/22
to sage-devel
-1

Sébastien Labbé

Oct 5, 2022, 8:04:12 AM10/5/22
to sage-devel
-1

(if we decide to move out of trac, then +1 for self hosted gitlab)

sal...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2022, 11:33:49 AM10/5/22
to sage-devel
+1 for github

David Roe

Oct 5, 2022, 1:15:35 PM10/5/22
to sage-devel
Thanks to everyone for voting!  The final results are 46 in favor of moving to Github and 8 against.

There is still a lot of work to be done to carry out the transition, and we'll be coordinating on this wiki page and this trac ticket, as well as various threads on Sage devel.  We will make an announcement prior to running the porting scripts.

I know that not everyone is happy with this decision, but I encourage those who preferred trac to help us figure out how to make both the transition and the Github-based workflow better.  Similarly, for those advocating for regular backups of issues, there is a trac ticket to help coordinate work.
David

On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 11:33 AM sal...@gmail.com <sal...@gmail.com> wrote:
+1 for github