Naming scheme for pip-installable distributions of the Sage library on PyPI

Matthias Koeppe

Nov 14, 2020, 2:11:07 AM11/14/20
to sage-devel
Dear all,
Pending reviews of a few tickets (see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29705, "Tickets for Sage 9.3"), we are ready to deploy the first pip-installable distribution of the Sage Library  to the Python package index (https://pypi.org/). Later, as part of the modularization effort, it will be replaced by several subset distributions.
This is probably a good moment to discuss the naming scheme of these packages, which will be visible on PyPI.
There are already various packages, related and unrelated to SageMath, that are named "sage-..." (https://pypi.org/search/?q=sage). Because of this, in https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/30912, I propose to use the more specific "sagemath-..." prefix, and in particular publish the first (still monolithic) distribution under the name "sagemath-standard" - as it represents the functionality of Sage with the standard packages installed.
Comments and discussion are welcome. (For your reference, the modularization effort -- and the kinds of packages that are expected to be created -- is sketched in Meta-ticket https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29705)

Matthias

Dima Pasechnik

Nov 14, 2020, 3:57:40 AM11/14/20
to sage-devel
I just wrote to the holder of "sage" on pypi asking to turn it over to us.
https://github.com/dhagrow/profig/issues/20

In principle, if we don't hear back, we can proceed to get "sage"
directly from pypi, as the current "sage" on pypi is just name
squatting.

Dima